Meltdowns

• 6 replies
  • 19 subscribers

Recently I've been finding my brain is not shutting down properly at night. I know there's a lot going on for me at the moment and some days I feel quite angry particularly so during the recent spikes in temperature. My husband finds it difficult when I do have a meltdown which adds to my frustration and anger.

I'm not really looking for answers - just wondered if other people feel the same.

• Ho Coheal welcome to the forum and sorry to hear what is happening  for you. I had a  friend who often suffered from an active mind in the wee small hours and one of her top tips was  to keep a notebook by the side of her bed and when she felt unable to calm her  mind she sat up and wrote her thoughts in the book then closed it and went back to bed. The other thing she did was not to keep trying to get to sleep when you cant, but she got up, made herself a cup of tea, did some breathing exercises and then went  back to bed and she slept as she was calmer. Try them for  a few nights and see if they help . 

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you that's very helpful. It will certainly help until I have my first conversation with a telephone buddy.

• Hi 

sorry to hear what is happening to you 

I have had similar for years, even before my diagnosis which just added to it 

I have accepted it’s unlikely I’ll fall asleep before midnight but I’ve found watching tv helps - has to be mindless easy to watch stuff though (it’s normally us sitcoms that work for me) and I just watch until I fall asleep 

seems to turn the thoughts in my head off

• Thank you so much for reply. It helps to know I am not alone. 

• Turning your head off can be hard but it can be done. Some years ago now I had to go to my local hospital for a 3 week stay. I hadn’t been in hospital all my life. 

The nights were awful, it’s like the place was full of zombies, moaning and crying. Not anyones fault, just so new to me. So I got myself some headphones and downloaded the Calm meditation app and learnt to meditate. Within days it really started to help. Try it. It lets you control your brain and slow it down. 

Now roll forward 6 years and I’m stage 4 with only months left. Only found out 3 weeks ago. 

Im awake all hours again but now I control it. I decide when I want to stay up and watch TV or have a cup of tea or meditate. It really helps. 

GI’ve yourself a break. Hope it gets easier. 

Take care guys,

Rameses. 

• Thank you for taking the time to reply to me especially when you are going through a struggle yourself. Thankfully, I have been put forward for counselling to help the situation.