The Myth of "stay strong" and my rant on the subject :D

• 17 replies
  • 25 subscribers

I'd heard endless stuff about strength, resiliance, attitude etc. And it drives me up the wall. As though Attitude and diet can do more than Chemo or surgery. I realise this link is about stigmatising mental illness, but it wasn't much of a stretch to extrapolate it to my experience of cancer. From health-care workers but also from family and neighbours. Funnily enough not from my friends, perhaps they are a small bunch of weird people like me.

I'd been going through the McM booklet full of 'survivor' stories, about 'moving on' after cancer. It was full of those who 'weren't going to be 'beaten', or that their experience had made them better versions of themselves, 'stronger', who could now stride forwards head up into the future etc. It all reminded me of the Leninist workers art without the carrying of a hammer or sickle (see below). It felt like there was an obvious sub-text, that the 'right' attitude is something to attain asap if you haven't already got it. And it bugged me.

Bugged me enough that here I am pontificating as though I know anything, which I don't! It made ask myself where do I fit in? Does that make me a loser? Am I not made of the 'right' stuff'? As if having cancer wasn't bad enough, I need to conform to these attitudes to be 'worthy' of or able to, move on? I hope that I am not alone in struggling to bear the brunt of the the "Gee aren't I wonderful" psychological stance, (Ok, RD Lang was a while ago, but it feels like it fits well here) with society cheering on from the sidelines as though it were a sports day. That god forbid If you 'fail' to conform to their advice you may end up like me. It left me feeling marginalised, as clearly I am not of the right(eous) stuff, I am not strong and I don't feel able to attain the nirvana displayed in the booklet, clearly showing me what happens for those who were of the right stuff, or would be soon, if they read the booklet over again and conformed.

Imagine my surprise to find I am not alone thinking this attitude may have some problems, maybe I'm not 'weak', I just am. The link below suggested to me I was not failing to be strong, that was a familar repeated and just a not thought through, imperative. Maybe if I was stronger and read more 'survivor stories' it wouldn't change a thing in my life. I can't be more like the happy McM booklet people by reading it, I can't become the right stuff by wishing it. Maybe I will never be like them? The link gave me ideas that perhaps people who want you to be strong are just flailing about trying to think what to say. Perhaps they are not the ones in possesion of a truth and if you don't fit in it makes no difference?

Perhaps a small corner could be left where I, as someone who doesn't want to echo the I'm going to 'beat' this brigade can be? Where I, as some one who feels marginalised, can exist? Maybe that's here? Perhaps being 'weak' or 'strong' has nothing to do with it, perhaps that's just a Myth?

https://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/survivingmentalhealthstigma/2018/03/encouraging-words-can-sometimes-be-harmful?fbclid=IwAR3Erm8AIb_ZM2y2R7l0bsDDoVQPyjD_DLKToAgjR1b6XQYlqQKoqjZlIyY

• Jenny,  what a shock you've had hon. All those years cancer free and now major surgery.  I'm so sorry to hear this.  Your brain must be full right now with questions which I hope your oncologist can help with.

A plan to move forward will I hope help you to gain some positivity hon.

I guess you are in the breast cancer forum too, avail yourself of any help you can.  Take care xx

• I completely agree with much of what you say, and I am about to ask the friend who posts the news of my death on my Facebook page not to use any version of the phrase fought a whatever kind of battle against cancer. 

However, for me staying strong has a slightly different meaning. I have terminal, ovarian cancer. So staying strong has been about coming to terms with and accepting my diagnosis with a lot of help from a counselor. It's been about finding ways to make the most of the life I have left. It's about being grateful for the life I've had so far, for the many opportunities I had to do things I wanted to do, and also for everything I have in my life now, an incredible group of supportive friends, living in a lovely place etc. 

It's about finding ways not to collapse in a weeping, wailing heap of despair. Xx

• All of those things are good things so to that extent I am glad for you and so sad for your situation. But, tbh it sounds like acceptance is a good word too

• I really enjoyed your post-it resonates with me very much! I hate the use of military terminology in relation to cancer-talk of battles, fighting, winning, losing, being called a warrior. All of that. It’s refreshing to read that others feel the same.

Sarah xx

Community Champion Badge

Cervical Cancer Forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

•  you’re definitely not alone! People mean well but they haven’t got a clue unless they’ve gone through it and even then everyone is different in how they cope. It depends what’s already going on in your life, how many other stressors you’re dealing with and what support you have around you.

I got sick of acquaintances telling me it would be over before I knew it and isn’t it great the survival rate for breast cancer means you don’t die from it anymore and how strong I was. We don’t actually get a choice, we just have to get on with it don’t we!!

I spoke to my psychologist about it at the time and said I just want to say to people I don’t need you to be all cheery about it, I just need you to listen to how I’m truly feeling (anxious, emotionally, mentally and physically exhausted by it all) . She actually said to me that would probably really help people, as people struggle to know what to say and end up saying the wrong thing but with good intentions.

From then on I just either told people how I really felt or narrowed my circle of people I would speak to. I got the most help from being on these forums. I’ve since joined a Breast Cancer Now ‘Moving Forward’ course ( 7 months after finding that lump in my breast). Sadly it’s online but it’s definitely been helpful to go to the meet and greet Zoom session, where we all got to share our stories and realise that, even though we’d had different treatments, there was commonality in how we were feeling, mostly lost coming out the other side and trying to get back to so called ‘normal’.

What I learnt was there is no getting back to normal, it’s finding the things we want to get back to, or the new things we want to do or ways we want to be. Also that we’re all still quite raw from our treatment and it’s early days, so not to rush but accept all our feelings. Not surprisingly we’d all lost a lot of confidence in ourselves and who wouldn’t when we’d had to stop doing the things we enjoyed in life or that gave us purpose, or just the fact that we’d gone through something traumatic and the rollercoaster of worry.

it was also a wonderful way to learn from others experience and also learn not to compare. Everyone has been on their own journey, no one else can go on it for you, it’s not helpful to think that others have had it worse as it negates what we as individuals have gone through.

They also had two volunteers who’d had cancer themselves and could reassure us that everything we were feeling was normal and that one day, in our own way and our own time we would gradually get to a better place mentally. 

Positivity can be toxic when it’s used to negate what we’re feeling. I’ve had to learn to be kinder to myself through this, acceptance of what we’re feeling is so much healthier. If we let ourselves feel it, it will pass. 

As my doctor said, who’s had breast cancer herself, Cancers just a shitty thing to have to go through and then there’s the shitty menopause and side effects , but one day you’ll look back and think I don’t feel shitty anymore I’m somehow through it. I loved her for being so honest about it and using normal language lol 

• Oh that is a hopeful response, and a supportive one LucyLocket. Perhaps I'm not strange and there is a way to tell people what would help without annoying them. Thank-you I appreciate your response.

• Glad you found it hopeful and helpful Tlania : )