Feel so alone......

• 6 replies
  • 18 subscribers

My first post on here. Long story short. Was diagnosed with cancer in 2018. Had one round of chemo but had to stop due to a skin reaction, this was not before I lost all my hair which was traumatic in itself! Had 28 rounds of radiotherapy with no issues. My cancer was staged at 3c with +ve lymph nodes. 

I have been physically very well for the past three years. I've had  followups from various hospital consultants either face-to-face or more recently telephone contact. They all ask questions about my physical health or check me over physically but my gripe is this; why does no one ever ask 'how is your mental health?'. This is one massive oversight in my care pathway and the only area I struggle with daily and nightly. 

I had excellent health up to my diagnosis. I enjoyed 35 years in the Nursing profession offering not only physical but friendly emotional support to my patients. I am so dismayed this has not been reciprocated and I just feel so lonely. I recognise I still have not come to terms with my diagnosis. 

I am aware that my cancer will return; cancer never goes away even if you do ring that bell post radiotherapy treatment which I refused to do! 

I was assigned a Macmillian Nurse who was too busy to care, I even had a session with a counsellor who never even followed me up when I deferred from counselling due to my radiotherapy sessions. 

I cannot share my thoughts and feelings with my family as gosh they have so much to contend with themselves. There is no way I would burden them. So I just keep taking my SSRIs daily which my Doctor quickly offered me when I asked for help. 

Enough said. 

• Hi again , I don’t know if you have seen my reply to your first post - click on the link below to have a look.

community.macmillan.org.uk/.../1435038

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi I am new on this site so forgive me if I make a mess of it. I have had skin cancer for many years and up until Covid it was being controlled through treatment which kept it at the Bowens Decease level with regular PDT treatment. During Covid  I was left with no treatment and lesions just left to get bigger & bigger, then in November last year had surgery and diagnosed with non malignant melanoma. Unfortunately I was left again with no care or treatment after sending pictures to surgeon of the tumour growing rapidly on the back of my leg. The photos were sent from December 2020 to May 2021 every month so they could see how big it was growing. FINALY in June they decided to operate but left a hole in the back of my leg the size of a tennis ball and have now been told it was malignant melanoma with satellites so now have to have a much bigger area taken away, skin grafts & Lymph nodes out, ALL this because they ignored it through Covid. I have lost my Husband and both of my children so have no Family to help me through this, my second Daughter died as a result of being refused her a Mammogram because she was 38 not 40 with three other members in family breast cancer history. For me the worst part of this is not having anyone to turn to. I know what you mean about the Macmillan Nurse I was assigned to one just the same and I did wonder how she ever got the job. Am wondering what ssris are. ? 

• Hi I'm so sorry to hear of all you have been going through and continue to go through. It's terrible that serious health issues have been put on the back burner due to Covid.  I was just wondering about your query, do you mean SSRI's as in anti-depressant medication? Bev 

1in1500
  • Hi Bev Thank you for reply, I did not know what ssri's were but if they are anti depressants that's why as I don't take them now. I have been put on them in the past but they just make me worse. I think it is disgusting how people are suffering and dying as a result of the NHS and using Covid as an excuse for everything and still doing so even though we are meant to be coming out of lock down. Pam

• Hi (Pam). Some people cannot tolerate SSRI's but there are different forms of antidepressant medication. You could ask your GP to advise further. You can always ask to be referred to an oncological counsellor.  After treatment I was referred and found it really helped in terms of coping strategies and being able to talk through the bombshell diagnosis and uncertainty of the future. Dealing with cancer without anyone to talk to can be overwhelming.   You can also always call the Macmillan Support Services for emotional support. Most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week,  it's free to call on 0808 808 00 00 .  Bev x

1in1500
  • Hi,

I can certainly relate to SSRIs not been tolerated and also the lack of addressing mental health issues. For me personally endocrine therapy just exasperated mental health issues and then because of cancer medications only certain antidepressants can be prescribed.

Unfortunately for me none really worked, however a combination of beta blockers, amitriptyline, Diazepam and zopiclone seem to work. Just to clarify, I only take these medications when I really have to and I'm also seeking out counseling. I've also realized for me mindfulness and meditation just don't work, but just chilling out with a good book, distracting myself with whatever catches my interest (including junk tv), colouring, art work etc. These are things I find helpful, we're all different though and even though these things help me I still have bad days, hence the medications.

Basically life s*cks sometimes, hang on in there - big hugs x x