Struggling to cope

• 6 replies
  • 18 subscribers

Hi,

I was hoping for some advice. I am finding life very tough at the moment which isn’t like me at all. I am usually quite tough mentally and have an old fashioned approach towards dealing with emotions in the sense that’s men should suck it up and be the strong one (very outdated I know).

A few months ago I was diagnosed with cancer. That was a shock in itself. Around a month before my diagnosis I found out my partner was cheating on me with a friend. We split and it was a tough time. Then I went for a routine blood test and when the results came back they were concerned. Low and behold it was not great news. This was tough to deal with, I had a friend I could confide in but I had never felt so alone in my life. I distanced myself from my son, became very isolated and has dark days and nights.

My ex found out I was not well and we decided to try and work things out. I found myself a little better mentally considering the diagnosis, however I wasn’t sure if I could fully forget what my partner did to me. However, she was there for me and very supportive.  Now five months on from my diagnosis and four months from getting back with my partner I have never found it harder.

I am struggling every day. I find myself daydreaming, not sure what I am thinking about. I am very distant from everybody, if I’m in a room with people I may aswel be alone. I am unable to sleep at night even tho I have never been more tired. I wake up very anxious and scared in the middle of the night. I have found myself not taking my medication, for months I have been so good taking them but now it’s as if I’m conveniently forgetting. It is not just me this is affecting but I just cannot say what is wrong with me or why I am in this mindset.

Anybody with any advice please 

• Hi , I am so sorry to hear about the challenges you have been facing, dealing with cancer in itself is hard but all the ‘stuff’ that goes on around this can indeed be so challenging

The cancer journey can indeed play with our minds and emotions but I found talking with a trained support worker helped a lot

Can I recommended you call the Macmillan Support Services where you will find support or just a listening ear.

Most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week and it's free to call on 0808 808 00 00 have a look by Clicking here to see what is available and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

Talking to people face to face can indeed help a lot but during these times it’s not that available but do check to see if you have any Local Macmillan Support in your area or a Maggie’s Centre as these folks are amazing and I found their personally for myself. A lot of these services have moved onto online video support but they are now providing one on one services now.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mike,

Thank you for responding. I’ll give the support team a call today, speaking in person may help. I think the main issue is I am unable to speak about what I am feeling.

Some days I am ok, others I am with a mindset of I just want to give up. I am absolutely exhausted but cannot sleep. I know why I can’t sleep but again it’s tough to talk about. 

The sickness sand pain has it’s good and bad days as it would with anybody. I am concerned I have a mindset sometimes of not being fussed about receiving treatment and what’s the point

• Hi again.....I have been on my incurable blood cancer journey for over 21 years now (hit my name to see my story) so I think I have had time to pigeon hole all the aspects of the journey. 

It is easy to go down the "what's the point" rabbit trail...... but my desire for life and living far outweighs the opposite - even in the darkest days of my treatments there was no talk of giving in.

Do talk with the Macmillan Support team and do check out Maggie's as these cancer support workers are amazing.

Always around to listen.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Sorry to hear how hard you have had it for so long but you should be proud of the strength you have shown for so long. Hope I have half the strength you do. 

I spoke with the team today and it was much better than I thought it would be. 

• Only natural to feel really down given the heavy bad vibes life is throwing your way - the point 10 earthquake of being told we have cancer is worsened by the aftershocks like finding our relationships are in a crisis. Nice that your partner has rallied round to your support - make full use of all such positives and keep going no matter how rough the journey 

• Hi struggling to cope, I completely understand how you feel. I used to have the belief that men should be strong and try not to show any 'weakness' too. About half way through my treatment I started feeling very low and I wasn't in a good palce mentally. I didn't talk to my family or friends or anyone about how I was feeling. I didn't even talk to my psychologist that I was referred to about how I actually felt about myself. I ended up calling the macmillan support line and it really helped. Talking to someone who didn't know me and couldn't see me made it easier to talk about how I really felt at the time.

I would really recommend it.

Sorley