My dad’s 1st chemotherapy

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hi 

nearly two weeks ago, my dad has his 1st chemo. He had a reaction towards the end. He took a sip of cold water which closed his airways and he really struggled for breath which was very frightening to experience. He has really struggled since this episode and is frightened to death of it happening again. Has anyone experienced this and will it happen after every treatment? Will he ever be able to have a cold drink?

many thanks, 

• Hi ,

Sorry no one has replied yet. That must have been very frightening for your dad and anyone else there, including the staff i would think. They will have noted that reaction and will be prepared for it, but I assume there will also have been discussions amongst the team. Your Dad needs to speak to his oncologist to find out more and what they propose to do for his next cycle of treatment. Good luck to him and you.

• Hi Gazzamc, 

So sorry to hear your Dad is going through this. I don't know what chemo your Dad is on but from my own experience of being on Capox chemotherapy which is IV oxaliplatin and 2 weeks of capecitabine the throat constricting is quite common with cold ( air, fluids, food). The nurse advised me to drink a warm drink at the end of the iv treatment before going home and to wrap my neck up well going outside. I did make the mistake a few times of having a sip of coolish water but the effects aren't very nice. I got the closing up sensation and pins and needles in my throat and neck. It does wear off and gets easier to manage but it must have been very scary for you and your dad.

I was able to have coolish drinks once I finished the 2 weeks cycle of chemo pills. I am on my second cycle now and had to attend hospital yesterday with palpitations and chest pains. That is another story. Just make sure your dad drinks warm fluids only. I have an insulated flask and just do 1/2 boiled and cooled which helps.

All the best to you both, hope this helps, 

Best wishes 
    LouLoubelle64