Finding it hard

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi all I've not wrote for a while so thought I would come to chat has I'm struggling abit now , I've just had my 3rd round of chemo last tuesday and its wiped me completely out . The first 2 were a breeze I was waiting for things too happen side effects etc , I had some tiredness and feeling bit sick but nothing I couldn't handle , I was shocked how good I felt . 

But my gosh as it got me now since last tue I spent , fri sat and sun in bed , was still feeling awful monday and onkh just been able too move today . It's been that bad I'm actually considering not having the last 3 rounds thinking of how I'm gonna react too them . Please can you share your experiences with me . 

Thankyou you Blhope 

Xxx 

Keep fighting 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear blhope I am sorry to hear you are suffering side effects from your chemotherapy, I know from personal experience and from many patients I’ve talked to that your experience is quite common ie some cycles no problems then inexplicably a cycle makes you feel terrible. I was wondering if your haemoglobin levels and white blood cell counts are being monitored during your chemotherapy. Please don’t make any decisions about stopping the chemotherapy without talking with your consultant as he may be able to adjust your therapy, these things are not set in stone and whatever your illness there is usually some flexibility. I did 8 cycles of chemotherapy for blood cancer and had many ups and downs but I persevered and once it was all over recovered relatively quickly.

best wishes 

jane

• Hi there ,

I was wondering how you were getting on.

Firstly, you have done so well so far and you are halfway there.

I had a bad time once I switched from EC to Docetaxel, the first time I felt the worse I’ve ever felt, that was my 4th chemo in total, after that I would just felt lousy for a few days btw days 5-9, my oncologist had warned me so I was prepared.

Please talk to your care team, there might be something that can do, sometimes there can reduce the dose or give you some meds. I would seriously consider trying to hang in there and complete the chemo, believe me I know that is so easy to say but difficult to do, but it is the best thing or you to beat this crappy thing.

Let me know how you are getting on. Hugs Tina x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Jane,  

Thanks for your reply , yeah I have white blood cell checks every time day before my chemo , I'm having the chemo once every 3 week,  6 cycles , then having a 4 week break then I'm having 2 week of radiotherapy.  

I had a mastectomy in June after finding the lump well I say lump there was 4 , so the decision to have the mastectomy was quick . I'm hoping the next 3 lots aren't gonna be as bad as the third,  but it will be over just after Christmas so gonna try my best hang in there .

Hope your doing well also 

Blhope xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Beachwalker19

Hi Tina 

Thanks for replying , well these next 3 are a diff time of chemo I keep forgetting what they are called I should write it down,  so hopefully they wont be as harsh , I no the nurse who give it me last time said they ain't but everyone's different and reacts different . 

I'm gonna try hang in there it's just hard I'm usually a very active person and staying lay in bed isnt me so it's hard . I feel abit more I've today so I'm gonna get dressed and go for a walk , I'm glad to hear from you and hope your ok 

Take care Blhope xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Dear bhope, you’ve been through a lot since June it’s hardly time to process what has happened to you, so it’s not surprising you are having trouble adjusting. You need to be kinder to yourself and acknowledge that what you are going through isn’t easy. When you have a bad day you have to go with it but on good days do something that you can take pleasure from. It’s how I got through my treatment and it helps to keep you motivated. If you feel you need extra support check out if there is a Maggies centre or support group in your area, talking with someone who is going through the same thing does help.

best wishes 

jane

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I've had my third FEC last week and I feel a lot more tired this time but now I feel stronger every day. I've heard that EC has a cumulative effect which seems true for me.  I've got over it by listening to my body and resting when necessary. Also eating well if you can. I've had no trouble with sore mouth but it's affected my swallow, so had to eat very slowly and mushy food for a week, awful indigestion for a while, but got Omeprozole from the doctor for that. I'm swallowing much better a week later so eating well now. I find if I eat I get better quicker. Going onto weekly Paclitaxel next so a whole new ball game to come. 

Hope your se get easier. You're half way so well done. Keep going, it'll be worth it 

Hugs, Babs Hearts

• Hi

Walking kept me sane during chemo. I walked everyday I could while on chemo. Wasn’t always easy as I started in January lol, but I got there, you will too.

Look after yourself

Tina x