Rectal cancer T37N1

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 9 subscribers

I am a yoing fit healthy 46yr old.just recently diagnosed.radiitherapy planning appointment is next week.Does this mean (from any experiences) that chemo may not be required? If chemo is required though,and onocologist suggests drip for chemo,i read somewhere on rhis site that there is a form of chemo that can be taken as tablets.am i allowed to tell onocologist which form of chemo i want or do they decide

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi,when your chatting to your doctor at your radiation planning next week you can ask him/her these questions,my husband had both treatments,chemo comes in different strengths and there is different chemos for different cancers but you can talk about this with your doctor and discuss which is best for you,I hope this helps u a bit.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi David

I was diagnosed with colorectal cancer in Jan 18, put on to a chemo/radiotherapy regime for 25 sessions to shrink tumour.

The chemo tablets (Capecetibine) were taken at home over 5 days with 2 day break, no drip was involved, the joint treatment is designed, I was told was to improve chance of success and it did work to a point, tumour shrank to allow surgery so I would be surprised if no chemo is involved as it was never discussed with me and I expressed my unease about chemo.

Post surgery I am now on a CAPOX programme which involves drip (Oxaliplatin) and tablets (Capecetibine) with a small 3 day dose of Dexametasone to "kill off" some remaining affected cells.

The good news is I had no side effects with the tablets, not one!

On the other hand the drip is causing me grief with tingling and pain in nerve ends, fingers, toes, face and throat, it is manageable but the cold weather is playing havoc, gloves, scarf and thermal socks are a must, even in bed, okay, no scarf!

With radiotherapy keep plenty of moisturiser to hand, it does get sore.

Best wishes and good luck.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi David

First, I hope all is going well for you. Just had my 6th cycle of 8. Like you I get the frost bite in the weeks after the Oxyplatin drip and Capecetibine. It's actually getting worse and 48 hours after the IV my arm aches. I started in December and I've missed sessions because of low blood counts. June will be the last session. I consider myself to be lucky, as I've had brilliant treatment through our NHS.

It was this time last year when I realised something was wrong. I thought I was having heart problems, or had a virus. Being s bloke, I didn't want to bother anyone. Left it till July 2018, when I started passing out. Tests showed a tumour that was bleeding in my right colon. Told it wss cancer and had the operation in October. Brilliant surgeon who made me feel so confident when I spoke to her.

Tumour removed with cells evident in lymph glands. Hence the chemotherapy.

I don't know if the treatment is working. I think I would expect there's follow up tests (CT, colonoscopy).

I do know that I've mentally become stronger because of it. I hope you feel the same and how you're now doing.

Best wishes

Nev