Hiccups

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 10 replies
  • 9 subscribers

My hubby had his first round of chemo yesterday (FEC) and is now plagued by hiccups. He's also taking Dexamethasone. Has anyone else suffered with constant hiccups following their treatment? 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

I've been taking that anti nausea medication this week, but haven't had hiccups. I was sick last night so I phoned my cancer helpline and they got me new anti nausea meds. He should phone up where he got his chemo and ask them to help, as they probably could help him with this

Cheers

Alison xxx 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Claudsmum,

I am on Folfox and suffer with hiccups for about 6-7 days after having chemo. I only get them when I eat or drink tho, so annoying.

Hope hubbys chemo goes well otherwise.

Best Wishes.xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi lorraine51,

Hubby seems to get them when he eats or drinks too. He's not sleeping as soundly as he usually did before chemo so I think it's starting to affect him, he's a bit constipated too but apart from that he's great.

Best wishes to you and thank you for taking the time to reply.

Claudsmum x

• FormerMember

Hi again,

I've just had a look at the leaflet with my new anti nausea med Ondansetron and I see hiccups can be a side effect. So maybe the one he is on is giving him the hiccups.

Not sure if I like this med....

Hope your hubby is OK tonight

Alison xxx

• FormerMember

Hi Alison,

We think it's the steroids causing it. He went for a pint with our son in law last night and couldn't drink any lager as it was causing the hiccups. So he wasn't very happy when he came home. 

We shall see what today brings.

Best wishes,

Wendy x

• FormerMember

Dear Alison,

i was on cyclizine which did absolutely nothing to prevent sickness but ondansetron works very well indeed. Of course these things vary so much but I did not think it was causing ant unpleasant symptoms. 

Pepys xx

• FormerMember

Hi Claudsmum,

The sleep issue could be connected to the steroids, I literally don't sleep for the four days that I take them, I always feel too active, then about the 5th day I crash and sleep all day, but then there is also so much going round in ones head about the chemo, the side effects, will it work, etc., etc. that its not surprising one cant sleep properly. For constipation ask nurses for meds and once he works out what day he starts getting it then take meds the day or two before to prevent it.

Sorry had to laugh about him not being able to drink that pint, you look forward to it so much, then find it doesn't taste "normal". I have bought so many different bottles of wine or fruit flavoured ciders over the last couple of months to find one that might possibly taste good but realise that just isn't going to happen until I finish chemo and my taste buds return to normal, at least I'm hoping they return to normal, even some food now tastes awful or anything slightly spicy burns my tongue, even my toothpaste stings like crazy for at least 4 days after having chemo. Hopefully hubby wont get any more side effects.

Best Wishes to you both.xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

My husband to has hiccups not great when he already feels so sick.

He had his 1st chemo yesterday he can have them for a solid hour or so!

• FormerMember

Hi,

I think it was the steroids causing the hiccups as they stopped the day after he took his last steroid.

Best wishes to you and your hubby, hope he's feeling better soon. Is he taking the anti sickness meds?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I too had chemo (R-CHOP) for the first time yesterday and had repeated short bouts of hiccups throughout the day.  I've found that drinking water out of the wrong side of the glass has generally stopped it each time.  I'm hoping it stops tomorrow after my last anti-sickness pill.  I've never drunk so much water in such a short space of time and. it's not my favourite beverage but if it. stops the hiccups I can live with it.