Return to work

• 3 replies
  • 13 subscribers

I was signed off sick from my job as a nursery practitioner when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in november 2020. I have had chemo and surgery just over 4 weeks ago. My latest sick note runs out in 2 weeks time and my employers have talked about a phased return to work. They want me to tell them what that looks like to me.

What are your experiences of a phased return and any advice you might have to offer?

Thanks in advance,

Julie x

• Hi Julie

How do you physically feel after the surgery? Have you healed? & are you having radiotherapy soon? A full day may be too much at first. Perhaps a couple of half days at the start. I intended to work from home during my chemo, etc but had to give up in the end

Sharon xx

• Hello

I am a Special Needs Teacher in a very similar situation. I have had a meeting with Occy Health and with HR. I am working from home for the wide majority as school isn't really safe for me (infections and covid etc)

When I am in school, I don't do personal care, positive handling or swimming

It wiped me out when I went back to be honest so please be careful

Message me if you want  xx 

• Considering you work in an environment which could expose you to increased infections, what would your recommendations be. And how soon should one physically return to work? I recognise one is immunosuppressed so it would be good to understand gow long it takes to recover and also just general recovery.

Just to set the context of my query: I have been working on and off during my treatment with chemo brain, pains, etc but have been able to do so at home. I am also still being treated. Now my work office has moved to a busy central location which can only be reached via a busy mainline train and there is no expectation for people to wear face masks or maintain distance, I feel I will now be exposed to Covid and everything else which i was previously not susceptible too. I can wear a mask but now have a risk of undue exposure.