Painful scalp

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 23 replies
  • 9 subscribers

Just finished my first 3 week cycle. I have had bad scalp pain. Has anyone else had this? And more scarily is the hair less permanent? 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Nell Beancounter

Hi Neil,

I just use the coconut oil because I find it less gunky and slicky. Oil is anyway quite easy to wash off at the wash basin! I got myself some no-fragrance olive soap which seems to work very well. Try the coconut oil - it's definitely way way more pleasant than the olive oil I actually use it for everything - lip balm, body cream, hair oil, hand cream - you name it. Pleasant smell too. Mild. Consistency very light. 

How are you doing with the Covid nightmare? We have self-isolated. My husband is working from home now too. It's a tough time ahead of everyone. Hope you are stayinbg safe, that chemo is going on with you.

VelvetM

• Hi VelvetM,

Thank you for your suggestion, I had thought olive oil was a bit heavy. I have actually given some scalp care balm and soothing spritz which are amazing - no more itching and flaking, thank heavens!

I’m starting to accept that the c-virus situation is not just a bad dream and that I’m not going to wake up from it and find everything back to normal. I’m already self isolating and husband has taken the decision to close his clothing shop (no customers anyway!) and stay at home with me apart from foraging for food when necessary. I have clinic and chemo appointments this week, fingers crossed. I have been feeling really quite well apart from the aches and pains during week one. 

Hope all is going well for you, best wishes.

Nell - not Neil! Joy

• Hi Nell,

I have my last chemo on friday.I had a larger dose of taxol last time so I now don't need this (I had the option) so I can have my surgery brought forward for the lumpectomy,thank goodness with Covid going on.My hair is already starting to grow,baby fluff and no itching now.We started lockdown before the government introduced it.My village has been so supportive it's wonderful.Stay safe

Yvie

• Hi Yvie,

That’s really good news that you can the surgery done early. I didn’t know that it is sometimes possible to squeeze the Taxol in quicker - do you still have to have any other chemo on Friday? Gosh the hair regrowth starts really quickly doesn’t it? I wonder how different it is when it comes back. I’m hoping for titian curls. 

Best wishes, Nell x

• Unusual times I suppose.I'm having Herceptin biosimilar and perjeta on friday.

Hope mum has recovered and your treatment goes well

Y

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Nell Beancounter

Hello NELL! 

I did wonder about "Neil" being very worried about the hair/ scalp. :) 

My husband's isolating with me too - he's working from home. I think we are all beginning to realise that the CV is real. So scarily real. 

Interesting - my side effects for plaxitaxel and carbo platin (think that's right...how easily these names and medical terms trip off our tongues!) are similar to yours. My bad days are a few days after the chemo, 1st week. And aches and pains, with some nausea thrown in that mild. 

I'm going in for my Radiotherapy meeting tomorrow, and my last chemo is in 2 weeks, Not keen on being in crowded rooms at the moment. Not much of a choice though. 

Hope your clinic and chemo go well. And there won't be the usual crowded spaces.

Please - if you can - let me know if they are doing the distancing thing for patients coming in...last month the crowd freaked me out. Best wishes

VM

• Hi VM,

Clinic extremely quiet, only 2 or 3 people there! They are only seeing people in active treatment who need blood tests etc and doing phone consultations for others. Good to go for chemo on Friday but my surgery is being postponed until after the last chemo rather than this one (the third) as they can’t guarantee an ICU bed in case of complications. Really down about that but I will still have CT scan next week to check that chemo is being effective. Hope that isn’t busy either.

Best wishes, Nell x

• Hello All,

Just had my chemo early due to cancellation.There are no visitors,the spacing is great in waiting areas and I felt very safe.

Had llong shower when I came home,stripped off outside with clothes going into hot wash

• That’s really good - hopefully side effects will be minimal.

Best wishes, Nell x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to OscarTheCatgotmehere

Hey OTC

Thanks for updating us. Glad the chemo went well and good to know that there is space and there are no visitors. Feels much safer. I hope you are feeling ok and side effects are not too bad. 

Scary times for us all...especially while on chemo. Often feel freaked out and stressed that cannot go outside for a walk! 

Take care
    VM