mums ovarian cancer

• 6 replies
  • 46 subscribers

my mum has just been diagnosed with ovarian cancer that has spread to omentum - my father is 87 and still recovering from hospital stay with covid - I m an only child, I m consumed, overwhelmed and scared on being strong for them, the future   any advice   thank you

• Hi and Welcome to Carers. I'm sorry to see what you're all going through. As an only child it's not surprising that you're overwhelmed. It's a lot for one person to have to cope with. If you need to chat, do call the helpline on 0808 808 0000. It's open 8am-8pm every day and is manned by caring experts. Staying strong; it's essential to remember to look after yourself, even if you only have a little time. A deep breath outside in the fresh air, watching a relaxing music and video website (you know the one). They have loads that I find really useful when I need to take a break but can't get out. A warm bath with nice products, anything that helps to give you a lift. I'm sure others will come along soon with their own ways of relaxing and getting out of the carers loop.

Thinking of you,

LoobyLou
    If you find dust in my house, write your name in it. When the signatures overlap I'll get the polish. 

Click here to see how to add details to your profile. It helps everyone to see a little about you

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Snowwhit, I am thinking of you. 

I went through tragic circumstances with both my own parents within a month of each other and it is so harrowing. I can only say take each moment at a time. You are not super human and never berate yourself for not doing more than you can manage. You very clearly care.

In my own circumstances recently,  I found that receiving messages, passed by nurses or phone call, short written note, etc from my kids ( grown up kids) really helped.

Sylvy

• Thank you for replying, i think its the waiting the not being in control that i find hardest, how are your parents now xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Snowwhit

I lost them quite a few years ago. Dad was sudden, a month after my mum fell ill.  Mum became paralysed down one side from her illness but lived for several more years. It's strange to look back and see how much I came through. But you do, eventually. You are right about the loss of control.  I found being in limbo was the absolute worst.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Snowwhit, am really sorry to hear this. I am in a very similar situation to you. I am also an only child and am caring for my mum who has cancer of the womb which also looks like it has spread to the omentum. It can feel very isolating, and scary dealing with it all by yourself. I can only say that it helps to try and focus on one day at a time, and try not to think too much about the future. Easier said than done I know. I have taken up hiking, I joined a few walking groups on meetup.com and try to get out once a week to give my mind some space, getting out into the outdoors really helps even if it's raining. If you want to message for support or a chat anytime feel free :)

• My mums has spread to omentum also we find out Tuesday on a plan from doctors   What stage are you are your mum at xxx