Self isolation and partner

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 40 subscribers

Hi wonderful people, I hope you're all well as you can be. 

My partner Sheryl has just started chemo, of course she is self isolating. What I need to know is as a vulnerable person she would be entitled to 3months off of work. Is there a ruling that extends that to me as her carer, as I need to look after her and get her to her upcoming daily radiotherapy. 

I have taken 2 wks off as there was a coronavirus scare with her daughter. Negative thankfully. I now have to return to work as a grocery delivery driver, doing 20 plus drops a day, carrying totes full of food that have been handled by at least 40 people in 72 hours then going home with the risk of infecting Sheryl.

I urgently need to know as I should return to work on Wed. Can I not isolatie for three months also since she is vulnerable?

Thanks for reading and take care. 

Stephen. XX 

• Hi I'm in the same situation as you my husband started chemo yesterday and will start radiotherapy on the 20th. I'm a nurse and the oncologist told me I must isolate with him for at least 12 weeks. I got a letter from my GP and gave it to work. Unfortunately all they will pay is SSP but Macmillan nurses have told us there will be benefits we are entitled to during treatment and they will get money matters to call on Monday to get our full circumstances. I hope everything works out for you and your wife it's a testing enough time and then you throw in coronavirus. 

Simone

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Sim10

Somone. 

Thank you so much for your kind reply. We are already in touch with Macmillan so will do as you suggested and contact money matters.

Perhaps you could keep me updated on how you get on and I will do likewise, incase one hears of something the other doesn't. 

Good luck and God bless to you and your husband. 

Thank you again. Stephen. X