Final stages and what to expect

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 45 subscribers

I met with an old friend today during a window in caring for my mom. She told me something that shocked and worried me a bit. She said that  few days before her mom died she “expelled” or haemorrhaged some horrible smelling matter from her bowels. She said it was all over the bed and her mom and soaked through the duvet so much so that they had to throw it away. I’m really worried that this is going to happen to mom especially as she has rectal cancer. I’ve not read any like this though in any of the literature I’ve seen. Is this something i need to prepare for?  And if so how can I prepare?

• Hi ,

Goodness, it's easy to see why you're worried. It might be better to ask an expert, the nurse likely have some useful information. Has your mum been referred to the local hospice? They can provide support, if they're not already, and they are vey understanding. I hope you find some answers soon.

Thinking of you,

LoobyLou
    If you find dust in my house, write your name in it. When the signatures overlap I'll get the polish. 

Click here to see how to add details to your profile. It helps everyone to see a little about you

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to LoobyLou49

Thanks I’d not thought of the ask expert. Yes we are at hospice tomorrow if mom is well enough to get up that is. I just posted as it was so fresh in my mind.