Carers only

Looking after a loved one with cancer? This is a safe and supportive place to share your worries and emotions. Please remember when posting that this group is for Carers only.

Daft things.

WashboardWizard
Posted by

As well as caring for my husband who just under a week ago was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer I also help my father (age 86) with his medication. Until a few days ago my husband was able to drive and it was a simple matter of travelling to their house and sorting dad's many pills into the relevant daily boxes. Now though, this has to be done once a day via a telephone call. I should perhaps explain that dad has trouble with his eyes and my mother needs glasses but chooses instead to use an antique magnifying glass. So picture the scene: Dad with the telephone and the daily pill boxes and mam with a big plastic box full of packets of pills...and her magnifying glass. Today's conversation went like this:

Me:  Furosemide, two tablets, one in the morning and one in the evening.

Dad:  Flurosimine Joanie. 

Mam: Forty milligram?

Me: Dad, tell her yes.

Dad: Yes. Two tablets Joanie.

(sounds of rustling)

Dad:  What's that on the floor? I've dropped a tablet!

Mam: Have you? Can you get it?

Dad: (after much grunting and groaning) Yes, got it. What is it though?

Mam:  It'll be a Furosimene.

Dad:  No, it's brown. I can't make out the writing on it.

Me: (shouting) Dad! Dad! (He comes back on the line) Describe it to me and I will probably be able to tell you what it is.

Dad: Its oval shaped and brown. It's flat on one side and it's got a ridge down the middle for breaking it in half. (Sounds of laughter) Oh! It's a peanut!!

Keep smiling, folks! x

Washboard Wizard.