Dad in final stages small cell lung cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 44 subscribers

I joined this community awhile ago but haven't been able to bring myself to post until today. 

My dad was diagnosed with small-cell lung cancer that had spread to his bones, in March this year. He is now in the final stages. I live in Scotland and my dad lives in Canada. I have been supporting his wife with getting things organised, and supporting my dad emotionally through texting and Skype. Recently this stopped as he is no longer able to use his phone. I flew to Canada yesterday to be with him as he's deteriorating quickly.

I cannot believe how quickly things can take a downward turn. He was doing well, the chemo worked wonders and shrunk his tumours, and we were awaiting a scan in a few weeks' time to check how the radiation went. This past week he has deteriorated so quickly and an urgent CT scan shows the cancer has spread to his liver, lymph nodes, brain, and further into his bones.

It's horrible to watch what he's going through. He sleeps a lot, is in pain,  and his emotions are understandably all over the place. Yesterday he held my hand and quietly said "what did I ever do to deserve this anyway?" He's very confused and aware of that fact - he tells me that losing his thoughts and his words is the worst part. He doesn't like feeling that his "head is all messed up."

I'll be doing all I can to look after him in this final stage. Canada has legalised assisted death, and I hope that when it becomes unbearable for him that this will be an option.

This stage of the illness is the most terrible thing I've ever seen. No one deserves this and I can't imagine the strength the dying person must have to go through this. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I am so so sorry to hear how your dad is suffering, and you too. Sometimes being on the outside looking in can be worse. My brother died of this many years ago  when he was 43 and it is so cruel.

My 59 yr old husband of 5years now has terminal small cell lung cancer which has spread to his liver and lymph.  Being a long distance lorry driver, he feels his life has now stopped as he cannot drive them anymore.

Holding him when he cries telling me he feels useless to me hurts so so much, its not true but its how he feels. I am a strong person, I've been through cancer myself, but it doesn't make any differce its just a very cruel disease has no thought for age or gender and at present we have to stay strong for those we love. Will be thinking of your father and yourself Kissing closed eyes 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you for your response. I'm so sorry to hear about your husband, I'm sure that not being able to drive is particularly difficult for him given his job as a lorry driver.

All the best to you and your husband, I wish you all the strength you need to get through this. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you so much.