Elderly, sedentary parent who can't or won't keep the fire going through the day - the house's sole source of heating!

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Hello everyone,  I am new to the community.  I would appreciate your insights and advice as to how to better support my parent as the cold weather approaches.

80 year old parent with stage 3 ovarian cancer. 4 cycles of chemotherapy from Jan - May 2019. No chemotherapy for the last 17 weeks due to issues with baseline health.

We have two support visits a day to assist with mobility issues with getting in and out of bed.

We live in rented accommodation that uses a coal fire to heat the house.  Parent was able to keep it going through the day in spring, however, with the cold weather returning after a summer break from such activity, they now seem incapable of doing so.

I am not sure if this is further mobility issues, or the fear of soiling themselves if they move / bend down as they are having more regular instances of uncontrolled evacuations in the day.

Social worker does not return calls.  I do not know who is the best person to talk to about my concerns and what is possible / feasible to help her.

Many thanks for any advice.

Anoosh

• Hi anoosh, I am pretty sure the macmillan champions will soon be posting with some excellent advice. You could also ring the macmillan telephone number and speak to the many advisors. Thinking of you, let us know how you get on, pam x

Love is eternal
  • Hi Whoosh, I'm assuming you are living with your parent and you set and light the fire. I think your mother has done marvelously keeping the fire going through the spring etc. But I'd go with your gut  when you state that she seems incapable of doing so now. There is a few options that I could think of I'm sure many more from other people will follow. You could speak to landlord and explain the situation, maybe it would prompt them to upgrade and provide a more modern heating system. Most rented accomadation council and housing association has upgraded to more modern sources. You could buy some plug in radiators which are quite effective for when no one is about to top up the fire. I don't know how you get on with your neighbours or if you have friends or relatives nearby that would be willing to go on a Rota system to pop in to top up the fire. Keep trying that social worker, ask to speak to their superior and explain that you can't seem to get hold of her, maybe she/he off on holiday or off sick? Could you perhaps speak to someone else in her place. Wishing you and your mum all the best and to be able to keep warm x

• Hi ,

I would suggest calling the Helpline which is open 7 days a week, 8am to 8pm for advice. This one is a pageful of useful links with loads of information on support and benefits. Also, I'd suggest calling the local hospital PALS (here's some info), they're pretty good with providing information on available support and benefits. 

Love and hugs,

LoobyLou
    If you find dust in my house, write your name in it. When the signatures overlap I'll get the polish. 

Click here to see how to add details to your profile. It helps everyone to see a little about you

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Sunflowers15

Hi Sunflowers15, thanks for your pointers, we are using all the friendly support we can from around the neighbourhood.  My work takes me away quite often so we had that network worked out quite early.  We are into another system now since last Friday, so thankfully, the chase for the social worker has ended and there is one in situ as parent is now in a short stay hospice facility.  I find the responses from Doctors so variable its almost like whiplash at times for the direction they take.

Many thanks for your advice.  I am looking into the energy costs of the radiators.

Best, Anoosh

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to LoobyLou49

Hi LoobyLou49 (my dad used to call me LoopyLou! - made me smile), the pages are another source of information - thanks.  Making me feel a little less useless.  Far away at the moment and will call the helpline when I return, but it sounds like there's going to be some kind of planning meeting within the next two weeks because it turns out the formal social care support situation in the county is short of staff.  Dont know what that means for the future, I guess I'll find out then!

Best, Anoosh