Bowel cancer and my Mam

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi, This is my first post. My Mam was misdiagnosed in February 2019 with gastroenteritis and after 4 separate trips to a&e, two by ambulance and one where she collapsed and had to be taken to resus, we were finally taken seriously. A CT scan showed a blockage and 20 inches were removed along with her appendicitis and the tumour. It had spread through the bowel wall and into two lymph nodes which they also removed. Oncologist said she would receive chemo and the op was a success. The scan before the chemo showed a small growth in her peritoniym and chemo was postponed. To date we have seen the oncologist every 6 weeks. Further scans have shown the growth in her peritoniym has doubled in size however, as she is 'well' and has no other symptoms he is still delaying chemo. Is this normal? Over the past two weeks she has complained of pains under her ribcage which last for an hour or so and then simply go. This has happened on three occasions. The cancer nurse said not to worry as it will just be scar tissue! I'm terrified it's spreading but the oncologist just doesn't seem 'concerned' at all.  Every time we go to the appointment I feel we aren't important and the constant fobbing off every six weeks is making me more and more angry. Any suggestions are very welcome. Thanks x

• Hi sundancer, I can understand your frustration. If you are like me you want to ask the questions but are afraid of the answers. Does the doctor feel that quality of life would be impaired by chemo?. Would the benefits of chemo be less than a cure and possibly cause problems? I am only guessing, I have no idea. It may be an idea to phone the Mcmillan help line and see if they can give you guidance. I find the not knowing so exhausting, but then I m not the one that's ill and I don't know how much I would want to know if it was me xxxx

Love is eternal
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Needing friends

Apologies for not replying sooner. I thank you for your comments. It's been a very challenging year. Her last scan in September 2019 suggested chemo was needed however, the week before it was scheduled her health deteriorated and she was 'no longer a good candidate' for this treatment, according to her oncologist. She sadly passed away at home the day before my birthday in November. I cared for her at home and was there with her at the end. Yes, I'm angry about it. We asked all the questions but they fell on deaf ears. My only comfort is she is now with my Dad and free of pain.