Hi

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

Hi all, 

I hope you are having as best a day as you can.

I am a dad to a beautiful, courageous 18 year old daughter.

4 years ago she was diagnosed with a grade 2 astrocytoma and to date has had 3 surgical resections.

We were told that follow up scans were showing no re growth but now in the most recent on their most certainly is!

She has now transitioned to adult services and we had a meeting with her new Neurosurgeon.

He took a lot of time to explain her situation and to point out that for the best outcome he needs her awake during surgery.

Despite his assurances that there will be no pain she is understandably freaked out at the thought.

He has also said that in his experience these tumours always come back which has hit us all a bit hard and we are in shock.

She has been driving a year and loves it! She is about half way through her advanced driving.Having to stop driving is going to be a real wrench.

She also has just got her first real job and their is a real worry that she will loose this.

That's it in a nutshell but I do have 2 questions.

Does she have to surrender her licence immediately? and when would be the best time to tell her work and how?

• Hi  

Welcome to the carers group though always a little sorry to see anyone join us I hope you find it useful.

There is advice on driving and brain tumours here and it makes the point that it might be an issue for the insurance company as well as DVLA - I had some experience of this as many years ago I had a heart attack and while DVLA were fine about that it was the insurance that kept me off the road for a while. 

On the job front it might be worth while speaking to one of the employment advisers here, either Ask a Work Support Adviser or ring the helpline 0808 808 0000 and ask to speak to the work support team. If she is a member of a trade union it may be worth speaking to them too. 

While I was initially here due to my wife having Leiomyosarcoma - 10 years stable now and counting we did last year end up with our son diagnosed with a craniopharyngioma - a benign form of brain tumour. He had two rounds of brain surgery and then proton beam therapy and is now steroid dependent.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge