Today needs to end

• 6 replies
  • 45 subscribers

I'm counting the minutes until I can go to bed, and it's 7:45pm.

Mum had a bad night - brought back some lemonade she chugged - and has refused to eat anything except a few spoonfuls of rice pudding and has drunk very little. When I expressed concern, she told me to "stop bullying her".

It hurt.

I know she's suffering. But I have put my whole life on hold to look after her. I only said she needed to try to drink something, even if it was just to wet her mouth.

And she refused to take any medication because she didn't want to swallow any lumps.

It's as though she's pathologically avoiding anything that could help her feel better, and I am so frustrated. She's in so much pain and feels so ill with heartburn and fatigue. All I can do is watch her suffer because she doesn't want help. 

I know, I know: don't force her, be kind as she's the one going through cancer, call the GP if you're concerned, etc etc. I'm just venting...

Just to add that cancer care workers are walking angels. I called the pain management team and MacMillan, and they gave me sympathy and a real sense of hope that pain relief and nausea relief may be forthcoming. 

• Hi there, yes it does hurt when the person you love gets angry. Maybe she is trying to avoid anything to make her better. When my husband, {who passed 24 hours ago} reached that stage, I accepted it. I had to because it was his choice, and it wouldn’t have made any difference. 

Try and keep posting on this forum. it has really helped me with the emotional support I have needed. Friends and family are fine but they can’t really understand the mental and physical exhaustion. Kind regards,

• I'm so sorry about your husband.

And thank you so much for your advice.

Please take care of you now. I hope you have friends and loved ones who can be there for you, but I think I can safely say, we're all here for you, too.

• Thank you. I am finding almost impossible to sleep. My husband’s suffering was horrible, and I am having nightmares. Also, I now have all of the funeral arrangements to organise and plan. There is also all of the legal processes to follow. I had a complete melt down last night. I had to get it out. I feel calmer today as I know that my darling isn’t suffering any more.

• Meltdowns are useful tools. And having just been through the process with my father, please know that the funeral parlours and lawyers will be kind and get everything done for you.

• Hi  

Sorry to read about your mum, sometimes it seems patients might rather go through the pain rather than the pain killers and that can be very difficult to watch.

One key thing I had to learn was about looking after me - only really got there after crying my heart out in a local Maggies. 

Fingers crossed today is a bit better.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you so much, Steve, I really appreciate it