Side effects

• 10 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Hello, this is my first time posting. My partner has stage 4 metastatic melanoma. He got a delayed diagnosis (long story) and by the time he got the diagnosis, 2 weeks later he was in hospital with a bowel obstruction. He ended up with a high output stoma and nearly died in March this year. However, we got through that tough time and he was doing great, managing the stoma and he has an ‘Insides System’ pump which means he got off the TPN and home. We were doing great, he put weight on and we were living a relatively normal life. He started dual immunotherapy - ipilimumab and nivolumab - but after 3 cycles he developed severe colitis. He has been in hospital for 5 weeks having steroids and infliximab to try and control it but it is so bad. He has lost over 10kg weight, his stoma never stops. The staff struggle to give him enough fluids and he feels terrible when he is dehydrated.

i was wondering if anyone can give us any hope. He has lost all hope for the future as we were hoping that the cancer would go, the stoma would be reversed and I think we’ve been living in a denial bubble.

we are waiting on a staging scan. He has lesions in lung, liver, stomach and small bowel. Never found a skin lesion primary.

he is now really angry at the world, acting so out of character. My heart is breaking for him and all I can do is hold his hand and listen. I have been off work since March. I help him with his stoma and everything and we work as a team but he’s starting to push me away. I think the cancer diagnosis has only just hit him. We were so happy before the colitis - making lots of plans for the future.

we only got together last August (although we’ve known each other for 40 years!) and by December he started getting ill. We’re both 60 but young at heart.

i would love to hear from anyone who has got through this. I am planning to retire because my sick pay has run out. Our whole lives have turned upside down but I love him so much and just want to be with him.

• Hi Biker Blue, it is shocking isn’t it. It sounds as though your love is very strong, and you are both suffering badly. My husband and I are the same. He was diagnosed with kidney cancer which had spread to his liver in March. We have been together for 38 years. The prognosis was 18 months to 2 years. We thought we had more time. 

We had the scan results last Thursday, and unfortunately the cancer meds have made no difference. I knew something was badly wrong in December, {massive weight loss quickly}. The consultant said two to three weeks. Since then, it has been exhausting mentally and physically. Luckily, our adult children are still at home and we have run a tag team 24/7. 

My husband has been very agitated and had a fall 48 hours ago. I managed to get him into St Barnabas on Thursday, as his medical needs come first. I stayed over last night, it won’t be long. I am having a mini break to cook a home made meal for our children.

No one can ever take away your love. Kind regards. 

• Hi Kate,

I am so sorry you’re going through this. My thoughts are with you - what an absolute nightmare you are all going through! This journey is the hardest thing isn’t it? Cancer treatment seems to affect everyone so very differently. I don’t know what to say. You have my thoughts and best wishes.

I have adult children but one lives in Germany and the other has just got engaged and doesn’t have the closeness to my partner although she has been very supportive to me. His own step children from a previous marriage (his wife died of cancer 20 years ago) are great but also live away. So all the care is on me. I have given up my career and home to live with him . Now I am losing hope for the future. I can’t imagine how you are feeling and I’m so sorry to hear your situation. 

Wishing you all the very best for some kind of improvement in things for you and your family,

Sally x

• Hi Sally, sadly my husband passed peacefully earlier this morning. We have just got back from saying goodbye at St Barnabas. They were wonderful, and treated him with the dignity he deserved. No more suffering. My heart is broken. We had some time together which was beautiful. Our love for each other was pure. 

• Dear Kate,

please accept my sincere condolences. You describe your love for each other so beautifully. I cannot imagine your pain. Feeling awful for you and your family, there are no words. So sorry,

love Sally x

• Hi Sally, I am really struggling at the moment, I miss him so much. I have managed to organise the funeral arrangements, but still have all the legal stuff to do. The grief is overwhelming, and at times I feel quite unhinged. 

• Hi Kate,

I am so sorry you’re going through this really awful time and feeling so terribly grief stricken. I just cannot imagine how you feel. I hope you have some support from family or a healthcare professional. Have you tried the MacMillan Support Line team on 0808 808 0000?

i think they may be able to offer some practical advice and emotional support and it’s 7 days a week 8am - 8pm.

it’s so difficult for you right now and my heart really does go out to you. Try to take one thing at a time, even hour by hour if needs be. And please do reach out to anyone who offers support. It’s hard when you’ve been coping on your own to seek help/support, I know that from my own experience. Wish I could say something that would comfort you.

Love Sally x

• Hi Sally, I suppose the truth is I don’t know how they can help. I think it is the unpredictability of the emotions that is difficult to cope with. It is just so intense. I have started a to do list called, “Operation Survival’. Humour is helpful. Kind regards.

• Hi  

Sorry to read about what you are going through. With my wife we also had a long journey to a diagnosis including almost losing Janice to sepsis. 

I never got to the bit about running out of sick leave but did have a few sessions of what is classed a long term sick where my GP had signed me off with stress. In that time I managed to change roles in work to become part of a team that was perhaps less operational and I found that quite helpful. 

After something of a struggle with the first type of chemotherapy they eventually tried a different kind and for Janice that managed to render her cancer stable. The really good news is it has stayed that way for over 10 years now.

Of course it took a while and quite a lot of help for us to get our minds around living with cancer rather than any alternative.

One thing I had to learn was how to look after me - if I am going to be the best help to Janice I need to make sure I am ok - not always easy and people often talk about having to be a little bit selfish.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Steve

Thank you so much for your reply, it has lifted my spirits because I do believe there is hope for my partner too but it’s hard isn’t it? This is the biggest rollercoaster I have ever experienced and watching his suffering is almost unbearable.

He’s having a positive day today so all we can do is take one day at a time and see where this road takes us.

so glad your wife is 10 years stable. That was another thing that shocked me about this - that they don’t use the word ‘cure’ but talk about ‘stable disease’ or ‘under control’. It’s such a learning curve!

Best wishes to you and Janice and thanks again for reaching out,

Sally

• Dear Kate, sending you all my warmest thoughts. Just do what you can, when you can. 
    xx