Not well myself, but looking after my husband

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

My husband was s diagnosed with a rare form of cancer six years ago. Cancer of the epydidimus. He has secondaries in his lungs, liver and possibly his bone in his hip which is very painful. He has had surgery to relmove lymph glands, then been treated at the Royal Marsden for those years with various formd of chemo, none of which were successful. 

In April he was s discharged from the Royal Marsden and is now on palliative care. That means that I have to do the caring. He gets weaker and weaker, has a poor appetite and spends a lot of time sleeping. He  difficulty in walking so he gets around slowly with a stick. He now has hired a wheelchair from the Red Cross. He also haw difficulty in bending down to pick something up. He needs belp with bathing and washing his hair.

Up to only a few months he was very busy qround the house. He used to do a lot of gardening and had already planted some vegetables.

NowI have three jobs to do when I only had one. To do the jobs I always do, cooking, cleaning, etc. To do the more heavy work he used to do. And to look after him.

A fortnight ago I began to get very sick. I brought up blood coloured vomit. It happened again a week later. I was sent to A&E  then an endoscopy was requested which I had last Friday.

I waw diagnosed with gastritis and there had been some mild haemorrhaging.

I hadn't been eating very well as I felt nauseous much of the time.

So I carry on, but slowly. I take Omeprazole, and Cyclizine for the nausea.

People are telling me that I am entitled to help. We do now have a couple of gardeners.

How could I apply for help?

• Hi  

A warm welcome to our community though sorry to hear what you have both been going through. I can certainly relate in terms of our family with my wife with cancer and I recently ended up in hospital too after a significant bleed.

The first step to getting help is often a needs assessment for your husband alongside a carers assessment for yourself, you might like to see this from the NHS.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge