Newcomer

• 6 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi all. My wife has been under investigation for a lump in her abdomen for the last 2.5 months. Got the diagnosis after biopsy that she has ovarian cancer. We have two kids 15 and 13. One (13 yr old) is often asking questions and talking about it. The 15 yr old is very quiet although learned last night she has told a couple of friends. Hoping that we will be able to gently get her more talkative about it. 

My wife (52) is strong and is totally going to kick its butt but surprised how hard it is to sit on side lines and watch someone you love go through this. Here for support and to offer support to anyone and everyone.

• Hi  

Welcome to our community, I hope you find it really useful.

Many people do find talking helpful and we have a number of resources on that here

My wife's cancer is different - she has Leiomysoarcoma. She had two lots of chemotherapy and the second one rendered her cancer stable and we have been like that for over 10 years now - living with cancer.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mark, my husband has kidney cancer, which has moved to his liver. We were diagnosed roughly three months ago and it has been tough. We decided that we would talk about emotions and feelings from the start. We have adult children still at home, and I can’t do the stiff upper lip thing. It is shocking and exhausting for everyone. To be fair, some days are easier, and we get out to The National Trust or take our border collie to the beach. My husband has a mobility scooter, (because he gets exhausted with the chemo treatment). I do power naps when I can, and try and zone out with gardening. Otherwise, I think I would have gone nuts by now. 

Kind regards to you and your family.

• Hi Mark T, so sad you had to join this group. You are welcome here, but hope your wife will beat it soon! 

It is always hard with children. My husband got stage 4 bowel cancer and we have 12 and 6 year old kids. Both are fully aware of dads illness and I talk openly, though it took me about two years to start talling about it. I always ask if they have any questions, it helps.

Wish you strength and calmness in this storm. Talk to us here, talk to people, don't ever struggle in silence.

• It really does. Talking to friends and family is great but it’s so helpful to chat to people who have experienced same/similar

• Power naps are really good for helping to control emotions (I know a bit about sleep) if you’re not getting enough sleep at night. I often have them. 

It’s difficult though isn’t it as a partner of someone with cancer to give yourself the permission to look after yourself a little too 

• You’re so right that it can feel like a very lonely storm until you realise there are other people going through similar experiences. 

Well done for talking to your kids. We’ve been drip feeding info to ours slowly