Daughter with breast cancer

• 4 replies
  • 43 subscribers

My 37 year old daughter has just been diagnosed with a grade 3 invasive ductal breast cancer.  Still waiting on HER2 receptivity tests but others are hormone negative I know it’s early days but I’m really struggling. I’m devastated for her having to go through this and terrified of the outcome.  

• Hi  

Sorry to hear about your daughter, my experience with cancer is mostly related to my wife how has Leiomyosarcoma so a very different form of cancer.

I can very much related though to your reaction, indeed if we look at Your feelings when someone has cancer we can see how very common a whole range of emotions are.

I ended up doing a living with less stress course that really helped me and by doing that made me much more useful to Janice. It helped me to concentrate on the here and now and appreciate what we have rather than putting all my effort in to worry about a future I could neither predict not control.

If you have not done so already you might like to have a look at and possibly join our Breast cancer forum lots of very experienced people over there who have a great deal of understanding of what it is like to have this type of cancer and tips and tricks depending on the treatment she goes through.

Do post here to for support for you and anyone else in the family and remember if it would help you then  please feel free to ring the helpline too.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Lorna, so sorry you find yourself here. I can empathise totally with what you're going through. My daughter was diagnosed 11 months ago. I was beyond devastated. Just wanted to shut us away from the world together and pretend it wasn't happening. Couldn't talk to friends or even family very much, just cried endlessly.  It's a horrible time and I really feel for you.

This waiting is definitely the worst time. Once a treatment plan is in place and started, you will begin to get your head round it. I have accompanied my daughter to 99% of her tests, oncology appointments and chemos. You will find the strength to be there for your daughter too. 

My daughter had 8 rounds of chemo followed by 2 surgeries. She has now just started a further 14 chemos and starts radiotherapy next week.

I'm not saying I feel great now, I worry all the time. But it does get better - daft though it sounds, you will find a 'new normal'. Not one you ever wanted, a fight against this horrible disease, but you will be there with your lovely daughter. We have learned to take advantage of the days she feels well and enjoy little things more together, from a walk in the park to hot chocolate and cake in a cafe. You'll do the same.

There is great support here, keep posting.

Sending love, strength and the biggest hug. x

• Hi Steve.  Thank you very much for the reply.  I’m sorry to hear about your wife.  It’s an awful disease.  So much uncertainty and I think life will never be the same. 

• Gosh that sounds tough. The waiting is definitely awful. I can’t stop crying and can’t imagine how we will get through this so it’s really helpful to know we’re not alone, although I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.  I hope your daughter makes a full recovery.