Thanks ….

• 5 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Thank you for accepting me into this group. My partner has very recently been diagnosed with cancer of the colon which has spread to his liver. He starts chemotherapy this week. This has all been identified this month and I was hoping to find some others who are in this situation- with a family member who has cancer. Personally, as a partner to someone who is beginning their treatment it is very helpful to know that this group exists! 

• Hi bookworm, I'm sure this group is not where you want to be! Sorry to hear about your partner's diagnosis. I am currently supporting my daughter through her cancer treatment - chemo and surgery so far, radiotherapy and more chemo to come. It's a rocky road but you'll get through it. My advice is to take it a day at a time and not look too far ahead. Once treatment starts, make the most of the days when your partner feels well - even if it's only a walk and a cuppa in the park, try to do things you will enjoy.

Everyone on here knows what you're going through and can empathise. Sending hugs and very best wishes.

• Hi Bookworm321,

Really sorey you are also in this horrible situation. 

My partner seems to be in a similar position to yours. Mine is in her 50s with colon cancer which spread to the liver. Diagnosed about 8 weeks back so still very raw. She is about to finish her first 3 week cycle of chemo and, so far, has had minimal side effects which we are both very grateful for. We are hoping that, after 3 more cycles, an operation on the liver might be possible but we don't really know what the long term looks like (although probably not great). She is very stoical about it all (but obviously has ups and downs). I am a bit of a mess inside but getting on with things as best I can for her sake. Ibstruggle to live in the moment and tend to have a hundred thoughts in my head all of the time. I have spoken to the local Maggie's centre once which I found helpful- venting to a stranger was somehow easier and I didn't want to burden family etc with it.

Hopefully there's something similar near you? Anyway, I hope your partner's treatment goes as well as it possibly can and that you look after yourself. Also, i have learnt that everyone's situation is unique to them - trust the medics (but dont be afraid tonchallenge or question). Finally, Google is not your friend - I went down some very worrying paths initalially which i have learned tonstop doing for my own sanity! Wishing you both the best.

• Thank you for your kind words, I appreciate them and will be visiting the local Maggie’s before long. I am very sorry to hear about your partner, it is such a shock when it happens to you.

You are so right about Dr Google- definitely not a friend when you are in our situation!

I hope the chemo rounds go well for her, that sounds encouraging. Wishing you both all the best.

• My spelling is not usually quite as bad - me and a mobile phone keypad don't mix! Hope you have as good an Easter weekend as you both can.