Worn down

• 3 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Husband was diagnosed in 2022 and in January this year we were told there is no further treatment available. He is now downstairs in a profiling bed and spends his day playing computer games. When I go in to see him he pauses the game and just looks at me. I try to start conversations but he just gives short, closed answers and then after a minute or two sighs and puts his head back and closes his eyes. When I leave the room he is straight back to the game. He sometimes gets upset about his loss of independence and accepts my comfort and reassurance then, but after that he closes himself off again. I feel like I have lost my husband. 

I am at home all day with him but I am finding it difficult to really get on and do jobs around the house. I am ok in the morning but by the time I have washed up after lunch I feel like I can’t face doing much. Because I am permanently on call for everything he needs I have this thought in my head that I have to reserve energy for whatever he might need so end up doing little bits here and there and just waiting for the next request. I rarely relax anymore because if I start doing something I enjoy and he calls me for something then I feel irritated and I am worried that one day I might take it out on him and say something unfair to him.  

I feel like I am failing him because I am not enhancing this part of his life. I used to feel like if he could go to sleep at night having experienced something positive, no matter how small, then I would have done my job, but the last week or so he seems so flat and unreachable. He is playing computer games but it doesn’t seem to be giving him any satisfaction.

I think I am writing this just because I want to feel heard and not so alone.

• You’re not alone! I hear and understand completely what you’re experiencing. My day is an endless merry go round of countless, tedious tasks. Fetching and carrying everything. Dealing with admin. Cooking and general  household stuff. Sorting medication, changing ileostomy bag, washing/dressing and undressing. Chauffeuring, shopping etc etc.

None of it is ‘hard’ work, but it is literally thankless. I’m not looking for gratitude; politeness would be nice. Instead it’s constant sneering, denigration, being told how incompetent and useless I am. Being told that the best thing about his death will be not having to deal with me any more.

He seems to deliberately choose the very minute I sit down, or go into the garden or do anything that gives me the slightest break or pleasure, to find something that needs me to come back and wait on him! I am constantly resentful and biting my tongue to avoid snapping back with a response that can never be unsaid.

He says that I go out of my way to make his ‘end time’ as miserable as possible.  Our marriage was difficult before he got ill, so unlike you, perhaps I can’t say that it’s the cancer talking.

I send you warm wishes. I know how hard it is.

• So sorry you are experiencing this. Our marriage was good and when other people are involved he says I take care of him really well. He doesn’t say unkind things to me, It is just that when it is the two of us, he is disinterested in my company and can snap a bit when frustrated. It is more the lack of any relationship rather than an unhappy one. I have experienced another family member in a similar situation say hurtful things and that affected me a lot so I can’t imagine it day after day. I can’t offer anything except to say I hear you and wish you the best.

• Things have changed very quickly. He is now totally bed bound. He is very confused and often difficult to understand. He gets very frustrated with me when I don’t understand what he wants. Nurses have started coming in three times a day which is quite a step up from once a week.He doesn’t want any visitors and has said he doesn’t want anyone in the house because he wants to rest. I am now confined to the house as I can’t leave him, but he got angry today when I had a brief visitor, even though we didn’t go into his room. This is the first time I have thought ‘what about me’. I feel guilty for wanting something that he doesn’t want.