Parking nightmares when attending hospital for cancer treatment.

• 1 reply
  • 43 subscribers

I just want to air my frustration and wonder whether anyone else has had similar problems, when attending hospital appointments with their loved ones?

I tried to dispute a parking fine from a private Parking Company. We had an appointment at the hopsital, during which we were told that my husband had just been given the devastating news of his advanced cancer and we were discussing the removal of a kidney, firstly with the Consultant and later with a support nurse. The hospital car park was full. I had to park 20 mins walk away and with my husband in a wheelcahir, that is no easy task. So consequently we were over the maximum 2 hour stay, when we finally returned in shock, after the bad news.

The Parking Company, refused my appeal and the charges escallated. In the end, because I refused to pay, they took me to Court. I lost the case yesterday and was ordered to pay £283 for a £1 an hour space.  Apparently the law allows them to do that?

So apart from the day to day emotional strain of helping my husband deal with this horrible terminal disease, I am now branded as a criminal and feel at absolute rock bottom!

• So incredibly unfair. Have you applied for a blue badge? We are in the process of applying and I believe there are certain spaces that may be free in certain circumstances, I don’t know for sure. But it may help your distance ?