Terminal husband — angry and pushing me away

• 2 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi, my husband has terminal prostate cancer. He was given about 6 months to live in November and has declined rapidly. We have no kids or extended family (I am from USA so my close support system is mostly there). It’s mostly just me taking care of him — while it is heartbreaking and exhausting, I also consider it a privilege. But as his disease has progressed, he is growing more and more distant. I know part of that is the letting go process but it feels like I have lost him already. I’ve tried to get him to talk to a therapist or counsellor but he says he doesn’t need it. He takes a lot of his frustrations out on me, and most of the time I can handle it and not take it personally. But it is getting worse as his disease progresses. I feel like nothing I do is right and he seems so irritated and angry with me all the time. I feel so awful that I can’t help him as I know he is in physical and emotional pain and turmoil but he refuses to talk with me or anyone else. He feels so distant and I fear that this is all that is left for us. He doesn’t seem to even like much less love me anymore. I miss him so much already and I am so afraid of having regrets about how we end things between us. I don’t have many people to talk with and confide in myself, which is a problem, I know. I just feel so awful about that’s happening to him and it’s breaking my heart that not only do we have to go through this, it’s ending on such a sour and unresolved note. Does anyone have any advice or insight — is this a normal part of the dying process? Should I just tolerate his attitude or challenge it? I don’t know how to best help him and it’s so distressing. Thank you 

• I am so sorry to hear about your struggles with your husband’s terminal cancer.  Your words struck me as I am in a similar situation … husband with terminal cancer; I’m American born and raised, no close friends here, and family and stronger connections in the US.  Because you are there with your husband, you become the natural target for his frustrations and anger.  I understand that all too well.  I sincerely doubt that he dislikes you or doesn’t love you.  Even though you might feel otherwise at times, he does need you.  I remind myself of that with my husband and tell him I love him.  I’ve also voiced concerns to him that I’m not doing enough for him or meeting his needs.  Understandably you will have sad and distraught feelings, probably with spells of tears … that’s ok, normal.  

Is your husband able to go out?  Can you take him on car outings , just drive around, new scenery?  In my case, that’s a lot of what I do with my husband, taking him out for daily drives, though we never start anything too early these days.  We used to walk a lot; sadly,  that has been become too difficult for him.  So we o park in a quiet nature place, maybe have a cuppa tea in the car.

Macmillan is a good site with a number of resources for support.

• Thank you for taking the time to reply. I’m sorry you’re going through this, too, but it’s reassuring in a way to know I’m not the only one in a position like this. I’m taking him out for a drive tomorrow if he feels up for it as he has said he likes going out for drives too. Thank you for the suggestion! Big hugs to you   and thank you again — please reach out to me anytime if you want to chat.