Told not to drive

• 5 replies
  • 44 subscribers

My husband has renal cancer which has spread to his hip and pelvic bones. He has had radiotherapy and is now on immunotherapy, which is helping him improve. However, because the cancer is in his hip bone he is disabled and uses a wheelchair now. He is also on a lot of medication including high dose opiates by patch for pain. 

Because his condition has improved and he is trying to walk again, he thinks he is fit to drive. We have an automatic car, which he could operate, but having asked 3 medical professionals, all of them say it is not advisable to drive with his condition and on his current medication. 
He is very disappointed and argumentative about this. I agree with them and believe it is not safe. He says I am stopping him doing something he loves. 
How do I make him understand without upsetting him? He says if he feels well and not drowsy then it’s up to him! 

As he needs my help to actually get in and out of the car, he cannot go without my cooperation, thank goodness. 

Has anyone else encountered this situation with a stubborn and proud family member? 

1. My mum has cancer in her hip as well. She stopped driving as it caused pain in her hip to press the pedals. Her car was automatic. She was also told it would affect her insurance so called it quits. I feel for you as mum said it was like losing the biggest part of her independence
  • Thank you for hearing me. I am sorry about your Mum and she is lucky to have you helping  her. For my husband it is a massive blow  to his pride. He loves his car and hates having to be driven by me. 
    I cannot even lie to him and say it will get better and this is just a temporary blip. I am sure it would invalidate his insurance if he goes against medical advice. Logically he knows,  but emotionally he can’t accept it. So hard for him. 
    I don’t know how I can ease it for him. Pain is manageable - you just pop a pill! Anguish and disappointment doesn’t have a pill. 

• I can understand how hard it is for your husband. Has he been told about how painful it could be driving and that he could put himself back a step or two? It must be so frightening for him and my mum when something you took for granted is taken away through no fault of your own 

• His main deterrent is the fact that he takes large amounts of opiates for pain, which will affect his focus and reactions. 
    Today he is more resigned to the judgment but still grumpy with me! 
    He believes he will improve and drive eventually. Sadly I am not so optimistic but will not squash his hope as that keeps him more positive. 
    All the best to you and your mum xx

• Thats the best you can do. I am sure he will adapt but like my mum I bet there us a fear he wont admit to. Mum is on loads of different forms of morphine so would have been in thd same position as your husband. Hopefully he soon adapts. Best wishes to you both