Balancing work whilst my mom is dying

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

Hi everyone, im 25 years old and my mom is dying of single cell lung cancer they say she has 3-11 months and she is already 4 months into that. She is a single mother and I am an only child so there is a lot off responsibility and choices on my shoulders , my family is helping a lot and my mum now lives with my aunt as she lives alone normally. I also have asperger's Autism. 

I need to help clear out my moms house that she rents before she passes, I live 2+ hours train (I can not drive a car yet) from both my mom and her flat (which is 4 hours from where she is ) , I’ve been taking a lot of 3 day weekends to vist my mom and go sort out her flat, but I’m not so close to being done with the flat.  I’m working mon - Fri 9 -5.30 as an office assistant , the salary is minimum wage and I run short of cash most months (living in London) . I’ve basically used up most of my holidays at work I only have 2 days left until end of April.

My question is any suggestions on how to balance things, I’m feeling very drained already , all my holidays I’m spending busy with no time to actually rest, I know I still have a lot of things to sort and I want to spend as much time as I can with my mom before she passes, I don’t know what to do I feel so panicked, my job currently has no work from home options, my only option in this job is to go part time again which means I finish at 14:00 every day Mon - Fri, but this leaves me in a bad financial situation again. 

I’m thinking maybe I can try to find a new job where I can work from home or work just 4 days a week? But this means i also have to spend time looking for a new job. I’m not sure what to do but I know that I can not cope with just 2 days holiday until may . 

Thankyou for reading 

• Hi Yakult, 

I'm so sorry to read about your mum. It's nice your mum can live with your aunt, so you know there's someone looking after her. 

Can you have a chat with your boss and make some special arrangements? For example, work later in the evenings and then less hours on Friday or Monday, or can you buy extra annual leave. Can your boss let you take a career break? I my previous job, a colleague took 1 year off work to look after his mum who had cancer. If you really can't make a arrangement that works for you, there's no harm looking for a new job that allows you to work from home or a 4 day week. It might be tiring looking for a new job, but it might be worth it in the long term. I live in London too, everything is so expensive. If you go part time, could you get another easy part time job to supplement your income? I alway see part time supermarket/restaurant/cafe/reception work but it's not ideal having 2 part time jobs. 

I'm lucky I can work from home, when my dad was in hospital, my manager let me finish work early and take unpaid leave when I ran out of annual leave. So I'm not the best person to give advice on this cos I've had it easy. 

It's tough balancing work and looking after our parents. My parents house is only 30 minutes walk away and I'm exhausted all the time, you must be totally exhausted with all the commuting back and forth. I hope you can find some time to relax!

Good luck with everything. I hope you can find a solution and get to spend as much time with your mum as possible.