Muddle over medication

• 4 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Well,  I guess after 2 years plus it had to happen.  P was due a sigmoidoscopy on 30 Dec.  Checking through the paperwork on 26 Dec I find he should have stopped the iron tablets on 23 Dec in preparation for the sigmoidoscopy on 30th.  I feel so guilty wasting the hospital's time but the appointment nurse was very understanding and we have a rescheduled date - 21 Jan. I am now finding the keeping up to date with when he has to take or stop taking which medication when etc etc very confusing.  I feel so bad that I'd got these iron tablets wrong.  I've made up a spreadsheet to cover his heart, colon cancer, lung cancer, eye and ear medicines so that shouldn't happen but I still feel guilty.  I'm beginning to think that I've become a nuisance to this forum too.  If so - I'm sorry.  I have no one else to talk to.

• I understand. I’ve just mixed up my husband meds this morning, thinking I’m giving him one thing and then realising it’s not the right one. We are only human. 
    sending a big hug. 

• You definitely aren't a nuisance to the forum first of all - although I don't have much advice, reading your post has helped me because I am in constant fear of muddling up my father's medication and have also made mistakes with his meds. Your post makes me feel less alone in how I feel. 

When dad was discharged from hospital, they gave him a a carrier bag of pills and when he went to bed on his first evening home, I cried because of the overwhelming responsibility.  

I found it helpful to label the medication boxes with a marker pen to record the number of doses and dates for review or to stop taking them. I then organised the pills in sandwich bags (stored in their original boxes) by categories - so for dad, he has medication that is morning only, medication that is morning and evening and finally medication that is taken morning, afternoon and evening. Having the pills in their original boxes and separated by time of day they are needed, has really helped me stay on top of the meds and made it easier for me to safely make up his pill box.

It didn't work for us as Dad's medication is constantly changing due to his health needs, but your local pharmacy or hospital chemist should be able to help you with a dosette box for P. If you would prefer to organise the medication yourselves, they can provide support understanding the medication - one day, I just took some of dad's tablets to the pharmacy and the pharmacist kindly explained it all to me. 

I think you can also ask your pharmacy or GP for a list of medication that P takes - Dad has a print out sheet which contains all his medicines with a tick sheet on what time of day to take them. This might be helpful too.

Please don't be hard on yourself for making the mistake - we are non medical, normal people in charge of looking after our loved one and you are doing your best. Please also post on here as much as you need to get some support too, 

• Thank you Helen59.  I guess it does happen - not just to me.  Thank you

• Thank you anxious_bookworm24.  Yes - it really is a mammoth task organising the meds.  Thank you for your tips - it's always useful to learn how other people do it.  Also thank you for saying that we all are, after all, human and mistakes will be made.  Thankfully the oncology nurse was equally as forgiving.  Hugs to you.