Mum diagnosed yesterday I'm terrified

• 4 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi everyone, after finding a lump last month, my mum has gone through many tests, yesterday we were told the lump on her collarbone is metastatic cancer meaning its spread to the lymph nodes but they don't know where the primary cancer is. She is getting a pet scan, but I want to know if anyone has went through this, does it mean the cancer is incurable as its metastatic? We are both terrified and the waiting for more tests and results especially over Xmas is torture, she keeps apologising for ruining Xmas, only I know, we have decided not to tell the family until after Xmas so they aren't as heartbroken as us, as the have small children they need to make their christmas a happy one, any advice greatly appreciated 

• Mandy87, I am sorry that your mum was diagnosed with metastatic cancer. The metastatic in cancer is spreading outside the primary tumour. Let’s see and be strong for your mum and I hope the PEP scan is going to show her primary tumour. I was diagnosed with ALK-positive non-small cell lung cancer back in April 2023 and it is stage 4 because is spread outside to the lymph nodes and the central of my chest. 

• Hoa, thank you for your explanation it has helped me understand, and thank you for you kind words, they suspect it may be her lungs as she has been a heavy smoker for over 40 yrs, may I ask your prognosis? I know everyone is different but I need to prepare myself mentally, I am so sorry to here of your diagnosis and I hope you are able to find joy in the darkest of times.

• Mandy87, I have never smoke in my life but I was diagnosed with ALK positive non small cells lung. I have been on Target therapy since April 202 and I have been responded to the drug well and currently being stable. I suggest your mum should do the DNA testing. I hope your mum does not have small cells lung cancer. All the best to your mum.

• Thank you for your reply, I'm so sorry that you are going through this but amazing to hear your treatment is working, wishing you all the best xxx