Exhausted

• 3 replies
  • 45 subscribers

My husband has CUP - diagnose in September and given a prognosis of 4-5 months. He's responded well to chemo, i.e. the prognosis has extended but it isn't a cure, still palliative with the aim of more time. So on we go. It's good news of course, but he is treating it like remission. I want him here for every minute I can of course, but bizarrely it's left me feeling shockingly depressed with a longer bleak and terrifying journey ahead. Everything seems to be covered with a cloud of sadness, even positive stuff. It's manifesting as physical exhaustion too. I'm wondering if it is clinical depression or just a natural reaction to months of intense stress and anxiety? I'm conflicted about getting anti-depressants which may work, but with side-effects, and I also feel a bit that I should be feeling this and not doing so properly will affect the healing process afterwards? Thoughts welcome. 

• I know exactly how you feel. I want to sleep for a month. I’ve been considering ant-depressants too, but am apprehensive about them and also unsure if it’s a good thing for me to do. I feel like I should just give myself a bit of a shake and carry on. My husband was given 6-10 months back in June when he started chemo. In October the oncologist said that he is ‘stable’ and I didn’t feel relief - instead it was more like panic. I also don’t know what ‘stable’ actually means!

• Yes quite - a stable situation of deep anxiety and depression. Exactly how I feel re anti-depressants. Have made an appointment at the docs fur next week so will talk to her then. They do make you v tired though, so don't know how I'd manage with caring duties and long drives for treatment....

• Hello, I'm sorry to hear about your husband, and how you're feeling seems normal in the circumstances. It's a lot to deal with. I feel that lack of sunlight and little exercise isn't helping at the moment. Well, lots of extra work around the home and shopping but not as good as a nice walk or swimming etc. I'm drawing on some meditation and breathing exercises to try to relax my body and mind and escaping with a hot bath and relaxing music. Taking things hour by hour. Sending hugs x