Difficulties swallowing

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

I’m really struggling to find a way to help my husband be able to swallow tablets (and food) without gagging. The problem developed when he was taking the tablets after the first RCHOP treatment and he has just had a stem cell transplant. It seems to be getting worse and has become a reflex action for him. I wish he could have the medication another way. 
The hospital have agreed he can have anti nausea meds by injection if he wants but the staff seem to put him off so yesterday the nurse maehime take two different tabs for anti sickness and said she’d come back to check in an hour - she never came and he still felt very sick. I really don’t know what I can do to help? Is it ok for me to talk to the nurses? Should there be a nurse in charge on the ward? 

any experiences anyone can share would be helpful. 

• Hi  I don’t normally post in this group as I am a patient but I have had 2 Allo (donor) Stem Cell Transplants for my type of NHL so know the post SCT problems very well.

The post SCT journey is rather unique and with this in mind we do actually have a dedicated Stem Cell Transplant support group where you can talk with patients and family who are navigating the post SCT journey.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge