How to stay positive

• 5 replies
  • 45 subscribers

A week ago my wife was suffering from what had been diagnosed as an ear condition.  But after  a visit to A&E she was diagnosed with cancer in the Brain. In a week I have gone from reassuring her the ear condition will get better to hearing her listen to music so she can tell me what she wants for her funeral.  Always the organised one. Other than it's aggressive we no little of the cancer or how they can or if they can tackle it. How can I stay positive for her and me when our lives have been shattered in a few days. 

• Hi Calvin - I’m so so sorry to read this,  your wife sounds amazing discussing her funeral songs,   I just wondered if your wife has been given any steroids or anything to help ?  Or a cancer team to help who can answer questions for you both ?, I am really sorry you are going through this , life can be so cruel x   

• Thank you. Steroids are being taken to reduce swelling and reduce the symptoms.  But i am stunned how my dynamo wife seems to run out of energy. 

• My mum is going through the same as your wife-  but she says on steroids  she can’t sleep/ feet swollen / oral thrush - and hot flushes :(.  - the tumour has effected her balance and speach -  been offered radiotherapy - as her cancer is from her lung and gone to her brain-   I don’t kno how to stay positive - I wish I could give you answers , I been traveling this journey with my mum for 2.5 years - and it don’t get any easier xx. I’m so sorry 

• I am so sorry to hear about your mum. I lost my mum to cancer. She is still your mum. Look after yourself

• If you read the forums, you will see that there is always hope whatever the prognosis. Yes, it’s scary - very scary but however bad it is - whatever you get told about percentages, there are always exceptions. Leave the medical stuff to the experts, being positive is the best way you can help you and your wife to get through this.