Where to begin? 40 years together, inoperable colon cancer - spread to lungs and lymph

• 6 replies
  • 45 subscribers

First post and reaching out for anyone who might be experiencing similar, or who has come out the other side.

From the beginning I have to say that I don’t have a good relationship with my husband. But still together after 40 years. He had a stroke in April and during the hospital stay advanced, inoperable bowel cancer was found.

He has a bag now (which is a whole other story) and has recovered well from the stroke.

Folfox chemo which didn’t work - Mets in lungs grew aggressively, tumour in colon and lymph slowly. So no he is on Folfiri. They can’t use a targeted therapy because of the stroke risk.

Oncologist said (when pushed) 6 -10 months. Most recent PET scan and oncologist meeting was Friday 13th. He is ‘stable’ in that nothing has grown alarmingly, so the chemo continues until December. I don’t know if that means the 6 -10 months is extended or not?

My husband accepts that he’s dying, but really dislikes me and the whole world! I am the focus of his hatred as I am available 24/7. He is almost impossible to live with. I deal with it day to day but I actually want it to end. And I feel awful writing it down and putting it out there.

So, I’m not sure what the point of joining this forum is, other than to find out that I’m either a monster or I’m not alone.

• You’re not a monster. Can you talk about your worries and concerns with your husband? Try to talk. About how you feel about him and what he is going through. And how you feel, how he is talking to you. Show him some love. It may come back at you. If not, love him anyway. xxx

• Thank you for replying. It’s a complicated relationship. He says he can’t bear being around me and dying will at least mean he sees the back of me - but he has to put up with me as I’m so useful. I bite my tongue.

• I am sorry that you are going through this,  they say we hurt those that we are closest to. I think if you are the one that is there 24/7 , you are more likely to be the target for their frustration and fears. However, you don't deserve to be treated this way.                                                                         My husband has stage 4 lung cancer that spread to his liver, spine, ribs and adrenal glands. We found out 10 days ago that it is now in his brain. We have also been together for forty years. It's not always been easy going.                         Take care, sending hugs

• Thank you so much. Yes just the two of us. We don’t have children and there are no family close by, so it’s all down to me. I almost feel like the day he goes to the hospital for chemo is my day off!

• Being a carer takes everything you have, it's really all consuming at times. I hope that you somehow manage to take a bit of time for yourself. Take care 

• Thank you for replying. It’s made me feel less alone.