Just wanted to say Hello.....

• 3 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Morning Everybody

Notice I didn't put good morning? It doesn't feel like a particularly good morning, but my beloved Dad is still with us, so I am thankful for that!

My dad got diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer that has spread to his lymph nodes and bones.  He is my only surviving parent as I lost my mum to kidney cancer 7 years ago.   But after a 3 week stay in hospital, the devastating news that his cancer is untreatable and a rushed discharge from hospital (dad just wanted to come home) I feel like I'm fighting this horrific end of life journey on my own, with the help of my sons. 

Dad has carers that come in 4 times a day to help with his hygiene needs but even that has been fraught with hassle.  One of the carers decided to give my dad his meds at night time even though he should only have them in the morning!!

I'm just feeling alone, scared and selfishly I'm worrying how my.life will be when dad's gone...

I am a real daddy's girl , hardly a girl,  I'm 50 and dad's 76 and since mum passed away, we shared our grief together.  We grew as a little twosome, celebrated mums birthday and even on sad days we cried together..  I just know I'm going to be lost without him.....

I only signed up to the forum today and just wanted to say hello, and to wish you all love and support and no doubt I will be a regular poster on here...

Caroline x

• HI Caroline

a warm welcome to the online community. So sorry to hear about all that's going on. Life's cruel.

For my own story, I'm supporting my husband (now 54) through his stage 4 brain tumour journey. He was first diagnosed in early Sept 2020 and its been an emotional rollercoaster ride ever since (Abridged version of the journey is on my profile)

This community has been a Godsend over the last 3 years. It's a safe and supportive space. There's always someone around to listen who gets it, someone to hold your hand and to offer that virtual hug when its needed. You're not alone. We've got you.

It’s always good to talk so please remember that you can also call the Macmillan Support Services on 0808 808 00 00 - most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week Clicking here to see what is available. This service provides lots of cancer information, emotional support, benefit and financial guidance or just a listening ear.

All these emotions that are swarming around are perfectly natural so please don't be too hard on your wee self for being scared. We're all scared. It's the strongest and most resilient among us who recognise these emotions and let them flow as it means we're processing things and not bottling it all up. You're coping so much better than you give yourself credit for(You'll just need to trust me on that)

For now though I'm sending you a huge virtual hug and lots of positive energy. Stay strong.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thankyou Wee Me for your kind words it really means so much that people understand because they are feeling the same feelings as I am experiencing

I must say though, your reply did make me cry! I don't have much support so I think that's why it set me off.

Caroline xx

• awh I'm sorry. The last thing I wanted to do was make you cry. 

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm