Deterioration

• 5 replies
  • 46 subscribers

Over the last 16 months or so since my partners diagnosis, I have been keeping myself sane by getting out, cycling or going to the gym 4 or 5 mornings a week.  I get up early because I don't sleep very well, and he likes to stay in bed til 11 or so, and it has worked ok.  I learnt a long time ago to stop trying to get him up and do something because he doesn't want to, and it was exhausting trying to motivate him.  So I don't do that anymore and he seems much more content.

Recently he has been going downhill.  He has glioblastoma and has always had a little confusion, mainly over words.  But recently he has been going downhill, leaving the frontdoor or garage not just unlocked but open, or leaving the gas on etc.  He is getting to the point where I won't be able to leave him and I am scared about what that will mean for me?  My little trips out are all that keep me sane... I have never been one for sitting around at home and now more than ever I need fresh air and exercise.

Please suggest anything that you can... his family are all at least 1.5 hours away and not particularly helpful anyway to be honest.

Thank you.  Take care of yourselves everyone xxx

• I'm sorry but I am new here - however is he under palliative or doctors care - if so maybe speaking to them and asking for some respite care or maybe they have someone who can stay with him while you go out.  I hope you find an answer because its obvious that you need a break now and again

• I really get where you are coming from. My wife has lung cancer.  She gets chemo brain and constant oxygen starvation makes her confused. I am still pretty active but very restricted by her illness. I try to get to the gym or out with the grandchildren. I get very down sometimes as I feel so trapped in my situation. As in your case, her family are miles away. Leaves me as sole carer. I have just had to accept the situation as best as possible. Doesn't mean I like it. Try to keep busy when you can and don't lose your own identity. 

• Me too, small trips out are a big help , walking the dog and time in garden.Important to have a break, immerse in a audio book or tv even , just to think about something else and to rest, phone a friend even just to talk about something else.. Local hospice have been great, we asked for referral at oncology and my partner has been for a couple of out patient visits to different activities which last for an hour or so. You can join in too or not They helped with Respect DNR form. . The pain has started seriously recently, and it has been good to have direct line to hospice nurses and also district nurse team which they referred us to. Their advice at the end of the phone has taken some of the anxiety away. 

• Thank you that is something I can look into.  I would like to get him to go out somewhere himself but he is always reluctant... But still worth a try.

Good luck to you xxx

• "don't lose your own identity"... wow that really resonated with me.  You are so right, it would be easy and I am aware of not letting his illness define me when I am out with my own friends.  

Good luck to you xxx