Overwhelmed

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

Hi Wave tone1 

My husband has widespread, terminal cancer, diagnosed in June and told that he’d be lucky to see Christmas. I am a nurse and I feel quite abandoned by health care professionals, we were originally told that we’d have input from Macmillan and Community Pall care team as well as a named contact at the hospital. But we’ve been given nothing. He had a feeding tube fitted and all the care has been left to me. I am feeling more and more like a 24 hour private nurse. When being discharged with the PEG I even overheard staff saying ‘she’s a nurse they won’t need help’. My husband is still so traumatised by the whole diagnosis, PEG and chemo that he won’t do anything for himself, I’m doing all his PEG care, feeds,meds and I am exhausted. 

I can feel my mental health worsening and at the moment I am constantly fighting back tears.   

thanks for listening to my vent. 
I’ll be fine, got to keep going on. 
take care all 

• Hi Tracey999

im in a similar situation, husband with terminal cancer and on palliative treatment only. I’m a nurse too, and on extended leave caring for him. I’ve found the opposite with regards support, we’ve had help from the GP, district nurses and St Gemma’s in particular have been very involved. It’s still exhausting caring for someone and there’s lots to do but I’ve always felt there’s someone on the end of the phone. Do you have a st. Gemma’s nearby? We were referred by the GP, I guess it depends on locality as to the help you get. 
    i can relate to being near to tears all the time and my mental health has Definately suffered, even with the support. Hope things improve for you x