Heartbroken mum

• 2 replies
  • 45 subscribers

My son was diagnosed with a rare blood cancer BPDCN in march 22. He had a stem cell transplant in august 22 but devastatingly relapsed in Oct 22. Since then he has had several rounds of chemo and donor lymphocyte infusions but has failed to achieve a remission. He is so scared and tells me he doesnt want to die. He is only 25 years old. I feel so helpless and am struggling to find the words to ease his anxiety. How do you cope with your child being terminally ill? Has anyone experienced anything similar ? 

• Hi  

Sorry your son has been through so much but totally get what you mean about feeling helpless. One of the issues many on here will relate to is the "how do I cope" because it can be really challenging to help anyway else when we do not even know where our own emotions sit. 

For us it is my wife who has the cancer but then our son has autism so explaining things to him can get more challenging. 

The good thing I hear in your message is that you are talking, remember you too can find some support on our helpline here - do feel free to ring when you need that are really very supportive and are there for everyone.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Xjaynex

So sorry to hear about your son, it is a horrible place to be.  My dauughter was diagnosed with synovial sarcoma in 2019 aged 17 and in 2020 it spread to her lungs. She has had many operations as well as radiotherapy and 2 lots of chemotherapy since then without much success. We cope by concentrating on the positive things and supporting our daughter in doing the things she can do. Because of her age when she was diagnosed she gets support from the Teenage Cancer Trust, and has recently been in contact with shinecancersupport who are there for young adults.  She has found it very helpful to speak with people who understand her situation but are not emotionally involved  like parents are. Her attitude has helped us to stay positive although we have our bad days and tears. I have also done a living with stress course (on-line) run by Maggies which was very helpful. If you are near a Maggies centre I would recommend visiting them as they have been very helpful to me. Hope this helps

Affie