Feeling like our life is on hold

• 14 replies
  • 51 subscribers

Hi, my husband was diagnosed with stage 4 rectal cancer with nodules also on his lungs in February this year. He’s had 6 sessions of chemotherapy and is just about to finish 25 sessions of radiotherapy/chemotherapy. The next step is for him to be scanned and then talk about surgery. I am 42 and my husband is 40 in September. We are both very positive people and my husband has coped with his treatment amazingly. He is going to the gym a couple of times a week and playing golf still which is great. 
I am really struggling at the moment, I feel like our life is on hold and could be for a long while as his diagnosis is very complex .we have had to cancel holidays and plans because of treatment etc. I have just had two days away with my 13 year old son and was glad to get away from everything that comes with what is going on even my husband/. Me and my husband are very honest with each other and I told him this which upset him as he can’t ever get away from it like I can, not that it ever feels like I totally get away from what is going on. I feel guilty for upsetting him when he has so much to deal with. I have people around me who are supportive but no one that is going through their partner having cancer. Is there anyone that is going through and has the same feelings as me? I feel very selfish for having these thoughts when I’m not actually the one that has cancer.