How do I support a relative facing a long stay in hospital?

• 1 reply
  • 44 subscribers

Recently, my relative had some complications alongside his cancer treatment and he is currently in hospital battling a severe infection. He has been in hospital for just over a month and is possibly facing another one - two months (perhaps even longer) in hospital to fully recover. 

Does anyone have an experience or advice how to support a relative facing a long stay in hospital? He is receiving a lot of support from the hospital staff for his physical health and care, but I am concerned about his mental health and how he is feeling in himself. While he recovers, his cancer treatment has been paused to give him the best chance to recover from his infection. This has understandably prompted difficult and emotional discussions with his doctors on almost a daily basis to discuss manage the infection versus the cancer treatment. His mood has been incredibly low on the last few visits. 

I have suggested that he talks with his Macmillan nurse (who has been so supportive), but otherwise I am at a loss how best to help and support him. He is finding the hospital environment difficult due to a life time of medical trauma, he misses his pet cat dreadfully and he is feeling generally overwhelmed with no control over what is happening to him. 

I would welcome any advice or suggestions as I feel so helpless to look after his mental health.

Thank you

• Hi  

A feeling of lack of control can be a major trigger for a stress reaction and that is unlikely to be what anyone wants for your relative. Your suggestion of talking to the nurse may well be helpful and perhaps examine even small steps that might help them feel a little bit of independence.

One thing I quite often see is patients at the league of friends cafe, just a quick break from the ward can do wonders but of course they are still in the hospital grounds if they need anything urgently.

Once when my wife was in hospital we had a pre booked meal for mothers day, I asked the staff and was able to "borrow" her for a couple of hours - since it was a Sunday and so nothing was going to really happen medically. It was great because a lot of our friends were in the pub too and came over to say hello.

Does the hospital do any pets as therapy programme? While it will not be his cat it might be something.

Bless you for caring

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge