Carrying on as normal

• 4 replies
  • 45 subscribers

I've been with dad today. Had a laugh and a cry together following his diagnosis earlier this week (3-6 months left- secondary liver cancer) but I felt so bad when I left. My brother will be home from work soon, so dad's not going to be on his own, and he's well at the moment. 

My question is, how do I carry on as normal? I was reading a paper and then suddenly thought 'how can I be sitting here reading when my dad is dying?' How do you go about a normal day, when everything seems so unimportant and inconsequential.  I see people going about their business and want to scream ' don't you know my dad's dying'. I feel like I'm going mad. How do you cope with menial things when your heart is breaking.  I probably sound selfish and weird. I am lost.

• Hi  

Sorry to read about your dad and really get where you are coming from. If we look at your feelings when someone has cancer I see a lot of issues that defined my new normal when my wife was diagnosed.

I know when I came out at work about how cancer lives in my life (10 years now) there were a lot of people who came to speak to me because they shared my normal but had never felt they could talk about it and talking really can help.

I wonder what your dad would want for you too, sounds like he raised you well and that is perhaps the best we can hope for our offspring.

Last but not least - you are neither selfish nor weird - lost sounds about right but welcome to our very special family here.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you Steve. You've replied to me before on a different thread and I really appreciate your wise words and support.

I spent quite a lot of time last night reading through this site and different threads. I find it so very comforting that people really understand,  although sadly it's because we're all in a very sad situation.  

Thanks again 

Diane 

• I find myself asking this a lot of the time. Sometimes I lose a whole day at work unable to force myself to get on with the day's tasks because they just seem so unimportant when my husband is dying. Thankfully this is not every day - because the tasks do matter as they lead to my income to pay the bills! Sometimes it is blissful to get completely in the zone on some work issue and find a few hours have passed without thinking about my husband's situation. Even with the expectation of only a few months more, caring is a long haul. There will be days like this, when you need to scream on a noticeboard like this to get your helplessness/frustration off your chest, but there will be a few normal, unremarkable ones too, which are to be treasured.

Cancer treatments March 2021 - October 2023

• Thank you so much for your reply.  I'm so sorry you are in a similar situation.  I don't wish this misery on other people at all, but there is genuine comfort in knowing you're not alone and people understand.  And I think I agree that being able to totally immerse your mind in something unrelated to all this sadness,  can only be a good thing.

Thank you.