Feeling Anxious

• 5 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi my husband has AML and is going onto hospital this week for a bone marrow transplant. I'm not coping well as I almost lost him after his second chemotherapy as he caught sepsis. I stayed with him in CICU for 5 days then as he had to have surgery after this, I was allowed to stay on the ward with him.

I know he is scared and it feels like we are going back to that dark place again. I have managed to get a room near the hospital but will be on my own when not visiting him and I will be his only visitor.

Due to the stress of his condition and him needing care I have been signed off work since May. The doctor gave me medication to help, but that made everything worse.

Has anyone else dealt with this? I don't now how to get us both back to seeing the positives rather than dreading the worse. 

• Hi  I don't normally post in this group but noticed your post so wanted to highlight our dedicated Stem cell transplant (SCT) support group.

Even although the term Bone Marrow Transplant (BMT) has been used your husband will be having Stem Cell Transplant (SCT) as Consultant still use the old term BMT.

I have had 2 Allo (donour) SCTs with the first in June 2014 then the second in Oct 2015. Do have a look at the SCT group as it has both folks who have navigated the process both as patients and carers.

The SCT process is rather unique so it will help you to talk with others who have walked this walk.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you. I will. It just feels like we are speeding up the inevitable at the moment. He feels like it is coming back. Can't wait to see the consultants this week to check that all is still well and we cam go ahead.

• Do introduce yourself and your husband to the Stem cell transplant group.

Going into SCT can be like being on a runaway train but although scary...... it is all doable........

I had a number of bumps in the road (See my story) but I am over 7 years 9 months out from my last treatment and will turn 68 in Nov and am doing great.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks. I think we need to hear lots more positive stories like yours. I have been reading him some of the posts and will keep posting ad we go through the process. Good luck to everyone out there going through it! 

• Just remember that as I am not a Carer and I would not normally check, let alone post in this group as it is officially for Carers Only ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge