Face mask made

• 3 replies
  • 45 subscribers

Mum had her face and shoulders mask made yesterday, she was so brave, it was such a hard thing for her to do as she couldn’t breathe properly, then another chat with Dr, cup of coffee, sat about for a bit then it was time for radiotherapy, mum was amazing, I really hope this shrinks it, if it doesn’t I’m not sure what they can do next, does anyone else know, I’m really not ready to lose my mum

• Hi  

Sorry to hear about your mum, we have just been through something similar with our son who is now due to start Proton beam therapy on 13 August. We has a bit of a false start in that the cyst reformed and they had to fit a drain so they can keep it under control.

One thing it is easy to get into as a carer is something called anticipatory grief and we can see a lot about that here. So glad you found our community though because it is hard being the carer - I have been in that role with my wife for over 10 years. She never had radiotherapy though.

From what I see of thyroid cancer there are several subtypes but it seems there are a complete range of treatments that might be available, radiotherapy, chemotherapy, targeted therapy, immunotherapy and surgery - but of course what happens after treatment depends on the results of the treatment and all anyone can do at this point is wait and hope.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you for replying, I hope the treatment for your son works, I just want to make the most of the time I have with my mum and make it as comfortable as possible for her.

kind regards 

Tracy

• Thank-you  for sharing.

Mt husband has just finished his radiotherapy with a mask and found it very hard but has seen it through.  When we left we offered the mask to take home as they only throw them away.  We myay use it for Halloween Jack o lantern