Lone carer

• 2 replies
  • 44 subscribers

My wife has small cell lung cancer about 9 years ago. Had chemo and radiotherapy and was declared clear of cancer.  The treatments took their toll. Spine crumjked. No hair. No teeth. Lung kept collapsing.  Headaches... you name it. 

Recently diagnosed with incurable lung cancer. Two tumours.  Had chemo and immunotherapy, the latter nearly killed her. She now has various aches and is fairly depressed.

In some ways we are total opposites, she has never been very social and I was. Her family live some distance away and my family considerably less. I find it hard to leave her to visit my family and visiting hers is almost out of the question. I have lost my social circle and feel very isolated. 

I expect I am not alone in this situation. I recently retired and kind of hoped I would get to spend more time with my grandchildren rather than walking on my own or glued to tv. 

There, I've had my kittle whinge.

• Hi  

Feeling fairly lonely when caring for someone with cancer is not uncommon. A certain feeling of being disconnected when someone retires is also not uncommon.

Have you considered getting a carers assessment from your local authority? It might help you get the support you need to give you the time to see others and give you the social support that most of us need.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately my wife is vehemently opposed to outside help. Any mention causes an argument.  I feel that she has enough stress without me aggravating it further. I'll just keep spinning plates.