Losing my husband

• 3 replies
  • 45 subscribers

My husband was diagnosed with throat caner 7 years ago, and after vigorous treatment he went into remission and was only signed off last year due to the pandemic.

Last year my husband started to feel unwell, and we thought it was long covid.  Following three different doctors and numerous failings, he was finally diagnosed with secondary liver and bone metastasis and given 6  - 12 months. 

We have two grown up children and grandchildren but we had kids young and we're only in our early 50s. He's too young.

I've just stepped back from work having asked for time off whilst I take care of my husband. We've been told short weeks are left. 

I feel like I'm tied to train tracks watching the freight train coming.

My husband has and is incredibly brave, he's battled so hard, he's lead by example and never moaned or complained. We live in thw day, lots of visitors and family over, but I feel disconnected, like it's about someone else. I'm terrified of what's coming. I'm completely caring for my husband, we do have contact with the local hospice and hospital. 

I feel sad, emotional, scared, I can't change anything. We're all strong together with the kids, we've been frank and transparent. 

I'm just reaching out, our story is all to common, and I know lots of people are in our shoes.

My husband is disappearing before our eyes. I'm hanging on as hard as I can and he is with me. He said I'm sighting to stay alive. Its heartbreaking 

• Oh Marco20, I hear you. Too many of us are in the same position. It's cruel.

My husband was diagnosed with a stage 4 brain tumour in Sept 2020. He was 50 at the time and the diagnosis came out of the blue. Initially we were told 12-15 months....and they passed. In Feb this year we were told "a few weeks, 2-3 months at most"...and they passed and we're still going. We're now in the care of our GP, the local community nurses and the local hospice nurse. He's still physically fit. Mentally/cognitively is a whole different matter. He's more like someone with dementia than someone with cancer. 

All we can do is our best. Live each day as it comes and keep going. Yes, the future's unknown and a bit scary (ok- a big bit scary some days) but we're stronger than we think. We've made it so far and we will get through this but for now let's just try to enjoy today.

sending you a huge virtual hug and lots of positive energy. Stay strong.

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• Thanks WeeMe,

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband too. It's completely cruel, surreal, we've been so strong but as he gets more frail we're more scared.

Tonight we're struggling with an extremely sore mouth and I'm unable to get any pain relief in him. Waiting on a call back from the clinician. Everyone seems so stretched and it's a case of waiting. 

50 is so young too., too young Our friend who is 40 has just been diagnosed with a brain tumor. It's all too common.

Thank you for your virtual hug, and I'm sending one back to you. 

Thank you for responding too xx

• I am there too. My husband aged 51 has been through a lot (see profile). But even now that things are getting serious, with bowel and bone mets that can't be fixed on top of his incurable primary, there are still up and down days/weeks. My husband hasn't worked at all now for 3 months and I've been allowed to work mostly from home in that time, to take care off him - taking unpaid leave when a medical appointment drags on too long to feasibly catch up hours into the evening. I'm both scared that the state he's in could go on for months/years, but also terrified he might suddenly take a turn for the worse. It all feels like the slowest, most agonising car crash going on infront of me and there is absolutely nothing I can do to change it - just fetching meds and drinks and emptying sick bowls while it happens... Staying strong these days does involve quite a bit of going for a cry outside, but somehow we keep going - because there is no alternative.

Cancer treatments March 2021 - October 2023