Selfishness of cancer

• 13 replies
  • 52 subscribers

I started replying to another post, didn't realise I needed to rant as much as I did! My mum has Stage 4 Breast Cancer, is stubborn, selfish and at times makes me want to scream.  I'm an only child,  neither mum or dad will discuss the future, everything is 'fine'.  They recently got away for a few days and while away, my husband,  kids and I cleared their living room,  kitchen and two halls, to get painter in, new carpet down, then moved everything back in, cleaned, fresh and shiny.  We never got a 'thank you' just my Dad complaining about the smell of paint.  Mum is stable, has lost weight and everyone tells her she looks fantastic.  So that just convinces her that everything is marvellous.  She is finally slim! Yay!  (sarcastic, obviously), but when the scan is no longer stable,  it'll be me sat there with her in hospital,  not my Dad as he never goes to any appointments.  My Dad isn't the one ringing the doctor, or helping when mum doesn't make the toilet in time and has an accident in the car.  I'll be the one having to then tell him the scan is no longer stable.  Then I will watch them again stick their heads in sand and listen to how 'fine' everything will be.  People tell me how fantastic my mum is, great spirit,  determination, inspiration, and yes she is and I love her, she's my best friend but what people don't see is how selfish,  bad tempered, demanding and impatient she can be in the day to day.

• I totally understand what you are all saying and I was feeling selfish aswell but reading all of the posts I see that it is totally normal to feel that way but it is not the truth. My husband has stage 4 rectal cancer with spread to his lungs,  he has had 3 months chemotherapy(shrunk tumour which was good) and just about to finish 25 days of radiotherapy/chemotherapy. We have been told he will have another scan in 3/4 weeks and then hopefully surgery. My hubby can also be the same that he is down when he is around me but then acts all cheery around other people. I have a very sociable job and they all know about his cancer diagnosis so they all want to ask how he/I am doing and it is draining. It comes from a really lovely place but it’s exhausting talking about it all the time. Even though I have so many supportive friends and family it can be lonely like you said. Sounds like you are all doing an amazing job 
  • Trust me you’re not being selfish, it’s soo hard. My hubby is having treatment for bladder cancer. We sleep in separate rooms as he gets up so much through the night, but much as I understand it’s awful, he is so down and moans 24/7 which is dragging me down. I know he appreciates me being there but there’s no affection. Sometimes I just want to get in car and drive… anywhere. 
    it gets draining trying to be the positive one all the time.

Hugs x

• My husband who is in remission from cancer but is a different man from everything, having undergone surgery and now has a heart condition. He is actually pretty good at not moaning directly, but is  grumpy or gets angry, and I find because he no longer is able to do certain things, he expects me to take up the slack but I'm already stretched mentally and physically. He also got made redundant and lost his dad at Easter my father in law so our stress levels have been insane. I love him deeply but sometimes wonder how we have managed to deal with the stress and other people don't see it. It might sound selfish but its not and I still support him but if he's in a bad mood that's his shit to deal with and if I am in a bad mood it's my shit to deal with. I easily take on other people's emotions but it's effecting my mental health so bad, if I go down il be no good to myself, my husband or my son. Its the only way I can cope. Nothing has tested me more in my life than this. Hugs x