When do you become a "carer" rather than just a spouse?

• 8 replies
  • 50 subscribers

I'm looking for the line that I think I have crossed, and why my husband might think that it is somewhere else.

I think I've become his carer, as well as his wife, because:

• I am working from home to be available when he needs help
  • I drive him to appointments
  • I liaise with his medical team
  • I prepare medications for him

He would say (with my qualification):

• He can manage by himself (I can still leave him for an hour or two, but bleeds aren't mopped up, sheets aren't be washed, bins aren't be emptied, meds are not ready for when next needed)
  • He can still drive (but he might have choking or mouth/nose bleeds, which happen several times a day, so it could be dangerous to him and others)
  • He can speak to the medics (but not clearly enough for on the phone, and not in a timely fashion because he's often asleep)
  • It won't always be like this, it is just for a while... (he's due another treatment as soon as he starts to recover from this one)

As his wife I worry about whether he will get any better, and I worry about how isolated he is becoming (because his social contacts were all down to work, which is on pause, and very active hobbies that he can't now do). I try to see his point of view, and that perhaps I am only doing these carer things out of that worry, not because they are actually essential ... but I don't think that is true, at least not any more if it perhaps once was.

I'm feeling a bit sleep deprived, as he wakes every few hours through the night, which is why I'm dwelling on this. I am struggling with the mismatch between how we both perceive our situation, and being framed as the worrier/gloom-monger. I am questioning whether it is my mental health that is failing or whether I am just more of a realist than him.

Hoping that writing this all down might let me put this particular worry to one side for a while,

• Hi  

Looking at this page from the NHS and what you have written above you are more than qualified to use the term carer but it is not unusual for our partners to resist this as it can make them feel less able.

There are certain advantages to you in being flagged as a carer - certainly you should let you GP know. It you are working you also have some protections and given the law just past are entitled to some time off to look after the person you care for - if you need it.

I wonder if it might help to reflect on the pages on anticipatory grief too as that may help to direct feelings of a balance between the worry/realism side of things.

Do keep posting too - together we make a great team.

<<hugs>>

Steve

Community Champion Badge

• I dont think we become one or the other, we care for the person we love because of that, because we love them. I dont think you should worry about putting a label on yourself. Being a carer is extremely tough, and it does affect your mental health. When the person we love gets sick, we do become their carers, that applies whether you are nursing someone through flu or cancer. You are juggling a lot of balls and you have to set time aside for yourself or you will burn yourself out and not be able to look after you or him. hugs xx

• I agree with you totally.  My partner and I have only actually lived together for a few years and suddenly I am his carer... I no longer have a guy with whom I share my life, a partner, a lover.  I have a man child who looks to me for everything and on days when I go out without him he says that I am abandoning him.  

Do you have a spare room that you can sleep in sometimes?  I do that more and more as it gives me some time to myself and a better chance of getting some sleep.  

I too worry about my mental health... I am ok for a while and then I lose it and have a big tantrum and he looks blankly at me and then pretends it hasn't happened and we go on as we were.

This forum is the only place where I feel able to say these things because I feel so horrible sometimes when he is going through it and it is going to end badly - we know that - but we just don't know when.

Sending everyone on here lots of hugs xxx

• The sleeping in a spare room option is one I've toyed with - but he actaully needs help when he wakes in the night. If I was in another room I would certainly sleep through, but that might not be a good thing.

I am strongly leaning towards swapping our bed for twin beds, so that I only have a single bed's worth of stuff to wash each time there's an accident, I would sleep deeper and he could have a wedge under his mattress. But I haven't actually suggested that to him just yet. I keep thinking, when we get through to the end of this treatment, but there is always another result in a few weeks which might change our course and then we start another treatment...

Cancer treatments March 2021 - October 2023

• I totally agree with your first paragraph, i  miss sharing life with my husband, lover and partner of 34 years i am just a carer to him now and as you say mine has tantrums and sulks if i go anywhere, even work, as i am "abandoning him" 

• You are his advocate and his support as well as his partner. I can relate to that and we do it out of love, as hopefully they would do the same for us if the situation were reversed? 
    You sound sleep deprived which  exaggerates and distorts things and makes you fractious. Can you sleep separately so that you are rebuilding your strength and soothing your nerves better? Take care of of yourself first so that you can help him better because you are a very important person in his life right now. 
    I shall also try to practice what I preach! 

• I feel like this, but more like his mum than a carer. The driving is the biggest bug bearer that and the constant shopping. I can drive but husband has usually always done it as he admits himself he is very critical of other people driving.

I have let him drive twice and it was nerve wracking but he says that driving is all he has got left and even it is explained to him that he could hurt himself, other people on the road he is not bothered.

• I had that same problem and our car is automatic, so it's easier, but I read the contraindications on his pain killers and pointed out his reactions would be impaired by the meds and it would be illegal for him to drive. He accepts it now but it is a very hard blow to his dignity. It must be soul destroying to lose your sense of control and purpose and especially to let a 'WOMAN' drive you, eh? I give him jars to unscrew and ask his opinion on lots of things to hopefully bolster up his self image of himself as still useful.