Feeding Tube

• 2 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi, Can anyone tell me why my husband who has stage 4 oesophageal cancer was not offered a feeding tube like so many other patients.  He has lost so much weight and is very frail due to lack of food and liquids.  He was admitted to hospital recently because of this, but it took me many phone calls to get someone to listen.  He is on various meds and drink supplements but they alone are not enough to fuel his body so he has not been out and just about gets up stairs to bed.  Any advice would be welcome.  Hugs to all. x. Pippi 

• Hi Pippi (Sue), may sound a bit insensitive, but have you actually asked? I think we have to be a bit more bold now, if you don't ask you wont get. I did message you a while ago, because my Husband was diagnosed Stage 4 Oesophageal Cancer. My Husband had a feeding tube for a while, but its not as easy as it sounds, as the liquid takes about 8 or 10 hours to go through, they have to more or less sit up, my Husband use to set his up at night. Anyway, thinking of you, in this nightmare of what we have to go through. Carole

• Thanks gnilggurts for reply, I will ask about this but think it might be too late.  Hubby sleeps most of the day downstairs and has little to eat/drink.  Did spend a few days in hospital to get some fluids in.  Have now got support from Pilgrims Hospice and community nurses as things don't look too great.  I have to admit I am scared of what is to come and don't think I will cope.  Thanks for listening and sending lots of hugs.  xx Sue