Feeling that my mum is being selfish.

• 11 replies
  • 46 subscribers

I feel like a monster. I’ve been caring for my mum for 2 years, while working full time, being a single parent and coming through a horrendous break up. My sister also cares for my mum but my mum’s expectations are so high and she spends her time listing her ailments, listing people who are aren’t doing enough for her and boasting about whoever is being most helpful; not to complement them but to highlight what others aren’t doing. She is incredibly ungrateful for the two people who put their children, work and personal lives to the side to be at her neck and call. When not complaining about her ailments (not all cancer related), she’s demanding that we take her out for the day or book holidays that she’s not fit for. 
my family is at breaking point and a part of me wants to tell my mum she’s being unreasonable but this is her personality. It always has been. It’s just that her diagnosis has given her free rein to behave like this. 
Has anyone else had to deal with caring for someone they have a strained relationship with? I’m torn between having it out with her and just continuing to put myself and my kids through it. 

• Hey Lucas, don’t blame yourself.  I think Ella85 opening up the conversation like she did is so helpful.there has been many times I wanted to post on here but was afraid to. Being a support to a parent is a challenge. It is a shame we are experiencing similar challenges when we are only trying to do our best; but we are not alone Heart